Health presentation for teenage girls

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Health presentation for teenage girls

Postby XC coach » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:05 am

I am an assistant coach for our girls HS XC team. In addition to meeting and running 5-6 days a week during the summer we include a team bonding/building activity 1-2 times a week. Our team captain, Allie, has asked my wife, Becky, and me to teach them what we know about healthy eating. Allie has been eating Whole food for around six months and has noticed improvements in her health and running. Becky and I have been eating WFPB going on ten years. Allie is proposing several sessions; learning about nutrition, food demonstrations, followed by a meal after each week for the next four weeks before our fall season begins. Our first class is set for this coming Monday. We have some ideas on what we would like to do. We want to be sure to make it fun and kid friendly. We have 23 girls on the team ages 12-18 7th-12th grade. 14 girls were on the team last year, losing just one girl to graduation. We are still young with just two seniors runners. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips or any resources that we could use in our presentations? One idea we we would like to use is the green, yellow and red light food choices. Wouldn't it be exciting to get everybody on board and have a plant strong team. We took fourth place last year at the Minnesota State XC meet with a majority of the girls thriving on junk and fast food with lots of sugary treats. Just imagine what we could accomplish being fueled by eating whole foods. Our girls have already set their sights on a state championship for this fall; we think that is an attainable goal.
Thanks in advance,
Coach Willie
XC coach

Re: Health presentation for teenage girls

Postby Daydream » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:24 am

XC coach, I think what you are doing is wonderful! I wish I had known about the health benefits of a plant exclusive diet when I was a teenager. I like your idea of using McDougall's green, yellow and red light food choices. Keep your presentation simple. Have you seen the documentary about about athletes who have plant-based diets called The Game Changers? You could share snippets of information from that movie which might inspire your young athletes.
Daydream

Re: Health presentation for teenage girls

Postby XC coach » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:13 pm

Daydream, Watching Game Changers was instrumental in turning Allie and her family into a plant powered eaters. Plus our team goes on a dozen or so long bus trips to meets around Minnesota (sometimes 3+ hours one way) and they do observe my food options and choices both on the bus and when we stop to eat. It is a great contrast to their food choices. When they see that I see what they are eating they tend to get a little guilty look and kind of sneak snack. They know I don't approve. When they do eat healthy options I go out of my way to praise and compliment them. We have talked about combining our food sessions with a movie night and Game Changers was at the top of our list. Thank You for your encouragement and input.
XC coach

Return to How to Begin