Which Program?

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Which Program?

Postby jewel » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:25 pm

Hi,

I just joined the group and I'm hoping that you can help with some advice. I have recently found out about the McDougall program and would like to learn more but I am a little confused as to which book I should start with.

My situation is that I found out that I had diabetes (TypeII) in July; I have since changed my diet/lifestyle and lost any excess weight that I was carrying. I am currently able to keep my condition under good control with the changes that I have made without the need for any drugs or insulin, but having heard such good things about the McDougall program I am hoping to do even better, stay as healthy as possible and keep the drugs/insulin at bay for as long as possible.

What I would like to know is where to start. There are a few books to choose from but I am not sure which one is correct for a diabetic diet. I have read that the higher carb content could initially mess with my sugar levels. I thought that I read somewhere that I should start with the 'The McDougall Plan for Maximum
Weight Loss' book (due to the lower sugar levels) but from what I understood, this is a quite drastic weightloss program and I really don't need to loose any more weight. Can anyone suggest the correct book to start off with please?

Thanks,
Gina :-D
jewel

Postby Doris » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:46 pm

Jewel, you have come to the right place . I also have type 2 diabetes and I have been following the regular McDougall Program. My ha1c was almost 7 when I started in March, 2005, and now my ha1c is 5.2 . Even though I do the regular Program, I don't eat pasta or bread often. The more refined foods play havoc with my blood sugar levels.

Good luck on your McDougall Journey!! :)
Doris

WELCOME!

Postby S B » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:57 pm

WELCOME!

MWL does not always give drastic weight loss! It depends on which version of MWL you use and on how close you are to what you should weigh. The closer you are to your desired weight, the slower the weight comes off! (I need to MWL to simply MAINTAIN my weight!)

If you are diabetic and do not want to lose weight, the least "severe" version of MWL might be good for you to start with. The book explains all of this in detail. It also discusses diabetes and explains why McDougalling can help it!

You have come to the right place to get help and support! I wish you all the best!
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

Postby jewel » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:43 pm

Thank you so much for your replies. I think that I will give the original a try and see how that goes; then maybe move onto the new DVD when it comes out if needs be.
jewel

Return to How to Begin