snacks

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

snacks

Postby woods38 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:53 am

I need to start planning for what I will eat when at work next week. I always bring my lunch so meals aren't a problem.

3pm break time is a problem. My co-workers and I usually go to the corner store and snack on chips and junk. I need to think of some snacks that I can bring to eat at that time. Any suggestions anyone?

Sheila
woods38

Postby serenity » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:07 pm

At the clinic in Santa Rosa, they serve raw veggies, cooked potatoes (small or chunked), Corn Thins (sesame variety with no added oil), and a dip made with low fat silken tofu and a dip seasoning mix. Some fruit is also available, but Dr. McDougall emphasizes the vegetables. At that time more emphasis was on MWL than I understand it to be now from other posters, so fruit is certainly OK depending on your particular health profile. In fact, as a newbie, fruit may keep you from reaching for other, less desireable, alternatives if you are craving something sweet.

http://www.cornthins.com/
serenity

Snacks

Postby janluvs2heel » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:25 pm

I swear by the baby carrots. I cut them up into small pieces & they seem to balance my blood sugar, so that I dont want any of the other "stuff". I also like them if I have made a sandwich. I guess that pick up something with your fingers thing is so much of a habit, but those baby carrots really help. I guess any raw veggie might as well, but I swear by the carros.

I just ordered the Microwave Potato Chip Maker, you slice the potatoes thin, then place them in the cooker. Wala, potato chips, no fat, no extra nothing. Just good potatoes. I ordered one for my daughter as well.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby toadfood » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:10 am

Raw carrots
Small whole boiled potatoes
Now that they're in season, blueberries
toadfood

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:51 am

I switch around. Sometimes I do the raw veggies, but I guess I've been doing it too long, cause I'm really burned out on carrots and such. So sometimes I bring steamed vegetables, like asparagus with lemon or brussel sprouts with a mustard/balsamic vingar blend on top. Other times it's popcorn. This week it's salad. I've been snacking on what I didn't eat at lunch.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Re: Snacks

Postby janluvs2heel » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:26 am

I dont work where I can "cook" anything & eat it. We do have a staff room but it isn't very far away so if I heated something up, it would stink up the whole office, I wouldn't be allowed to do that. I can see getting tired of the raw veggie thing, popcorn is a good idea. Before when I did McD 10 yrs. ago, I sometimes would bring some cereal, like Cheerios, or the bite size Shredded Wheat. I have more of a problem in the am, than I do in the pm. On occassion, I would just bring a slice or 2 of whole wheat bread. I could eat whole wheat back then, now I can't. Everything has to be whole grain, but it helps fill you up. I am at work a bit before 8 am, I usually eat my breakfast at about 645. By 10, 1030 at the latest, I am ready for something. But I dont get home for lunch until about 130, so by the time my food is ready it is 145. Eating that late in the pm, I am usually not hungry again.
Jan
janluvs2heel

snacka

Postby woods38 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks everyone! Now I have some great ideas for next week!
woods38

Return to How to Begin