New to McDougalling...

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

New to McDougalling...

Postby Elaine » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:21 pm

Hello Everyone!
My name is Elaine, I am 34 years old and from Western KY..For the last year I regained most of the weight I lost 2 years ago. I went from a size 20 to a 12.I am now back up to a 16/18. My problem i see now is that I didn't take my eating seriously. I just thought I could exercise it all away. :shock: It didn't work. I did quit smoking in 2004 and have NOT started that again I am very proud to say. I did feel better losing the weight before, but I thought I had to have dairy to lose weight. YOu all have seen the ad's :mad: . So I stuffed myself with low fat nasty dairy. I never really liked it but I thought i HAD TO HAVE IT. Since I never really quit eating the SAD diet, just a lower fat version of that trash I have ended up letting all the weight come back. In my internet browsing I have found this site. I did find a copy of Dr. McDougall's 12 program at the library. I read it, gave it back at the time I thought I could not do with out what I was eating. As time went on I kept getting fatter and sicker. My hair is terribly thin, my face was always broke out and red, my back had acne. Oh Lord I could go on and on....
I went back to the library and got Dr. McDougall's book again. I can be a lazy person, I kept saying, you can't do that Elaine, you don't have his cook books, any other material of his, and on and on. Since I am on a limited budget here's what I did.
1: I rechecked out the book.
2: I went to the health food store and bought grains.
3: Went shopping for a Binder, dividers, page covers.
4: Printed out pages similar to the pages in the 12 day program book.
5: I combed the internet for fat free vegan recipes, printed them out and
put them in sections in the binder.
6: I shopped again for more items needed.
7: and on 11-27-06 I weighed in, measured and started McDougalling!
My friend is also trying to lose weight. She's doing that low carb crap. I feel more in control this time. I am educated and ready!! And I just completed DAY 7!! I feel amazing already!! The journal pages help keep me acountable with what I eat. My binder is turning into a scrap book of sorts LOL I have pictures so I can see the before and after effects too!
Tomorrow will be my first weekly weigh in, I am very nervous. I just want to live longer. I don't want to be sick anymore.
I don't really have anyone here at home I can relate to. A Southern Vegan?? LOL I live in the Bacon Belt. My friend is supportive, but don't get it.
I know this post has been long, but I feel great being able to tell it!
You will be seeing my success story in the future!! If I can beat nicotine I can beat the SAD diet too!!
you all have a good night!!
Elaine
Elaine

Postby Doris » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:22 pm

Elaine, I wish you success!! You are really getting yourself organized. I have been meaning to put my printed out recipes in a binder. Right now they are all in a large crockery bowl on my counter. As you say, there are wonderful recipes on Dr. McDougall's web site. I have been watching the new Made Easy DVD that John and Mary McDougall have just released. They mention that they really use about 8 recipes over and over again at home. So when you find a recipe that is really to your liking they suggest that it become a regular. I think that most of the recipes they share on the new DVD are their own favorites. The recipes are all on Dr. McDougall's home page right below the info about the Made Easy DVD. Hope to be reading your posts on this board often. :)
Doris

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:50 pm

Elaine, you're going to do great. I love your idea for a binder. I should do that, I have lots of recipes printed out and stuck in some cookbooks I use regularly. We tend to use the same things over and over, maybe a dozen or so recipes that we like and keep coming back to.

Has anyone noticed that there are all kinds of recipes on the main McDougall page for free? I think all of the ones from the new DVD, plus the basic program is on the website all for free. There are daily menus too. No excuses! Anyone can do this.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby hope101 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:24 pm

Welcome Elaine. I like your very empowered approach--no more excuses? I know what you mean about not having any peers around you. I come from Alberta, Canada, heart of beef country. There are some vegetarians here, but very few vegans. One thing you might consider is searching on-line for a local vegetarian organization. There actually are some around and it can be a very helpful source of inspiration.

I discovered low fat vegan 10 months ago and kind of feel like I am obsessed with it. I make most of the meals for my family so I carry the joy and burden of trying to find new meals that my previous omni family will like and enjoy. Anyway, these boards are a friendly way of getting advice and not driving your own friends and family nuts with what may become your new obsession.
hope101

Return to How to Begin