1st day today.....a little nervous

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

1st day today.....a little nervous

Postby monica » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:26 pm

I'm nervous because 1) i didn't pack very flavorful foods today and 2) i have a totally unsupportive husband.

generally i'm a decent cook, but i packed burritos with red bean paste and tomatoes/cukes/onions in FF italian....it just didn't "do it" for me. even with a little salt and pepper. I'll need to get some flavoring ideas from the site, for sure!

anyway, i decided to McD for better health. been veg over 2 years, but never quite made the move to vegan. my husband is veg, which is great. we do however eat lots of olive oil and soy products (gardenburgers, tofu). so i'm really trying to cut down on oil and processed foods and eat a more pure diet, which McD definitely is. i am 31 and we have a little boy, so i will continue to keep soy products in the house for the babe and husband. which will likely present quite a challenge, but i'm up for it.

anyway, i hope to check in down the road! thanks for reading.
"You can judge a society by the way it treats its animals." - Gandhi
monica

Would love to offer any support

Postby VeganMan » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:52 pm

Monica -

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you....

Flavorful recipes, exercise, goals, etc.

Happy McDougalling
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

Postby monica » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:35 am

thank you. :-D

i think my biggest concern is salads.....and how to enjoy them without the viniagrettes i like. i know my tastes will probably change (i hope, anyway). but i don't like lemon juice on my salad....so i'll need to find some good options. i am going to scout around for a used mcd cookbook also.
monica

Recipes online

Postby VeganMan » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:07 am

You can find ample recipes here from the newsletters:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/newsletter/archive.html

Click on "The McDougall Newsletter Recipe Index" to find a recipe that sounds good and what newsletter it was in. Then go back to the Archive page and Clink on the corresponding newsletter to get the recipe.

I love vinegars so many times I just put red wine or balsamic vinegar on my salads and nothing else. Salsa is another good option.
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:50 pm

If you like vinegarettes then you shouldn't have any problems. One of my quick dressings is mccormicks Greek Seasoing blend and red wine vinegar. Salsa is really good as the poster before me said.

You realize you don't have to eat salads. You could eat cooked veggies. I know I have to be in the mood for one. Pushing them might make you feel like you are dieting instead of changing your eating.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby monica » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:15 pm

thank you for the recipe link, veganman.

i do really like salads, actually. we belong to a coop and get fresh lettuce each week. i have seen the packets of salad dressing mix in the store and wondered if they taste good mixed with just vinegar and no oil (and if they're mcd legal due to salt content). i'll have to do some experimenting. and thankfully good salsa is not hard to find around here, so i'll have to do experimenting there as well!
monica

First Day

Postby coastiemom » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:08 am

Hello all.. I've been reading the forums for the past week... went to the library over the weekend and got all the books... wrote out my shopping list... and taaaadaaa.. here i am... my first day as a McDougall-ette. I've struggled all my life with my weight.. I went from a 6 to a 6x in grade school and have floundered ever since... I received the email the other day about Edna Roseberry, who, at 90!!, after living a great life on the farm, changed her habits... If Edna can do it... so can I!!

I have alot to lose, so I'll be here for a while.

You guys have become one of my daily habits now... so I'll be checking in for support, recipes, tips, encouragement, EVERYTHING!

Hang on......... here we go!!
coastiemom

Postby hope101 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:44 am

Welcome, coastiemom. This is a great board for support and encouragement.
hope101

Return to How to Begin