starting the programme - new from the UK

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

starting the programme - new from the UK

Postby tanb3374 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:46 pm

I just wanted to say hello. I have just discovered the McDougall Programme although I have been a vegan for a while. I noticed that there are quite a few of us from the UK.
I only have about ten pounds to lose. I understand that the weight can be pretty slow comng off if you are not very overwight to begin with.
tanb3374

Postby AaranaKinsley » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:26 am

Hi and welcome. I'm not from the UK, but figured I'd say hello anyway. Congrats on being vegan already! I think that's important for so many reasons other than personal health! I don't know too much about the weight loss aspect, but I do know about the work it takes to avoid temptations. Before I started eating this way, I was 98% pure vegetarian (occassionally I'd eat something with cheese or milk as an ingredient). I felt guilty when I ate something with a little bit of dairy, but I never would have thought to watch out for added oil. Now I definitely have to monitor my habits to watch out for the vegan junk food-- the co-op grocery store near where I live makes delicious vegan baked goods that are full of oil. I notice if my pants [trousers] start to feel a little snug, it's probably because I've been lax on the vegan cookie front and doing less exercise. So that would be my best advice if ever faced with a craving: try to remember that just because it's vegan doesn't mean it's healthful! Best wishes on getting started.
AaranaKinsley

Postby tanb3374 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I definitely have to watch out for the vegan baked goodies!
I nearly fell off my chair when I realised how much fat there is in soya products.
I am mostly following MWL with some days more like the regular programme. It has been a week now and I have not weighed myself but I really like the way I'm feeling and how much energy I have.
tanb3374

just started

Postby storm20 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:07 pm

I have been doing McD for a week, lost inchs. that is good, I have cut out all fats, my constipation has gone, I am diabetic, can't wait till my blood sugars get better, I have read people who have either stopped or cut down on there meds,
My Doc is away for a month, will be good to see him when he gets back,
he will be nicely surprised on any weight lost,
I enjoy reading this form,

Carolyn New Zealand

tanb3374 wrote:Thanks for your reply.
I definitely have to watch out for the vegan baked goodies!
I nearly fell off my chair when I realised how much fat there is in soya products.
I am mostly following MWL with some days more like the regular programme. It has been a week now and I have not weighed myself but I really like the way I'm feeling and how much energy I have.
storm20

Postby tanb3374 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:50 am

hi there
my week has been ok - i have stuck to the mcdougall principles and i feel full of energy and not hungry, which is a plus. i can't believe the volume of foods that i am eating - the voice in the back of my head is telling me that i will gain weight if i eat so much but i'm trying to ignore it and put my faith in the programme. i don't weigh myself as i am liable to become obsessive about the numbers and i know it can come off slowly if you don't have a lot to lose. i am still breastfeeding too and i don't want to cut too much so i can keep up my milk supply. this forum is a great place to come for inspiration and support.
best of luck with the programme - great that the constipation has gone. that in itself will make you feel so much more energetic.
do you include exercise in your programme? i am doing ashtanga yoga and some lotte berk exercises most days. i'm also trying to fit in a walk with my son in the pushchair when the weather is nice. now that the winter is coming i may have to take a walk in the shopping mall instead - i'll just have to avert my eyes from all the lovely things in the shop windows otherwise the pounds i will be losing will be from my pocket!
best of luck with the programme - let me know what your results are when your doctor comes back!
tan, uk
tanb3374

NZ Kiwi

Postby storm20 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:18 pm

I will let you know, would be good while beast feeding, baby will be getting the best,

I will do the measure this morning, to see how I am going,
Hubby has put in a great Veggie garden ( he is from Kent)
I get fresh veggies daily, plus our own fruit trees,

keep in touch

Carolyn

tanb3374 wrote:hi there
my week has been ok - i have stuck to the mcdougall principles and i feel full of energy and not hungry, which is a plus. i can't believe the volume of foods that i am eating - the voice in the back of my head is telling me that i will gain weight if i eat so much but i'm trying to ignore it and put my faith in the programme. i don't weigh myself as i am liable to become obsessive about the numbers and i know it can come off slowly if you don't have a lot to lose. i am still breastfeeding too and i don't want to cut too much so i can keep up my milk supply. this forum is a great place to come for inspiration and support.
best of luck with the programme - great that the constipation has gone. that in itself will make you feel so much more energetic.
do you include exercise in your programme? i am doing ashtanga yoga and some lotte berk exercises most days. i'm also trying to fit in a walk with my son in the pushchair when the weather is nice. now that the winter is coming i may have to take a walk in the shopping mall instead - i'll just have to avert my eyes from all the lovely things in the shop windows otherwise the pounds i will be losing will be from my pocket!
best of luck with the programme - let me know what your results are when your doctor comes back!
tan, uk
storm20

added oil

Postby storm20 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:24 pm

I never thought to look for added oil, I was a vegaterian for 3 months after seeing a magot in the meat, yuk, I still have milk, eggs cheese, have cut them all out now, I want to lose weight, this is very easy I have told friends about this way of eating,
I dont think many people in NZ know, they will soon once I get it out there
to think it can stop breat cancer they always said they did not know why people got B C, Dr Mc said was cause of the hormone

AaranaKinsley wrote:Hi and welcome. I'm not from the UK, but figured I'd say hello anyway. Congrats on being vegan already! I think that's important for so many reasons other than personal health! I don't know too much about the weight loss aspect, but I do know about the work it takes to avoid temptations. Before I started eating this way, I was 98% pure vegetarian (occassionally I'd eat something with cheese or milk as an ingredient). I felt guilty when I ate something with a little bit of dairy, but I never would have thought to watch out for added oil. Now I definitely have to monitor my habits to watch out for the vegan junk food-- the co-op grocery store near where I live makes delicious vegan baked goods that are full of oil. I notice if my pants [trousers] start to feel a little snug, it's probably because I've been lax on the vegan cookie front and doing less exercise. So that would be my best advice if ever faced with a craving: try to remember that just because it's vegan doesn't mean it's healthful! Best wishes on getting started.
storm20

Postby tanb3374 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:41 pm

a garden - how great!
i don't have green fingers - i have tried several time sto grow veggies with no luck.
no one has really heard of the mcdougall programme in the uk either asa far as i know - most people are low carbing here i think, from what i see in the womnens' magazines anyway.
tanb3374

Postby rogermoore » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:11 pm

Hi and congratulations on your great decision. I have been McDougalling for 14 years now and am 110 pounds less. You can do it!
Roger Moore, PhD
http://www.hypnosishealthinfo.com
http://www.slenderforlife.com
rogermoore

Down

Postby storm20 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:50 pm

I am down 8.8 pounds in a week, I never thought htis could be possible
storm20

Postby tanb3374 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:52 am

wow!
110 pounds!
amazing!
and well done on your 8 pound weight loss.
I have lost weight as I feel it in my clothes but I am staying off the scale.
tanb3374

Return to How to Begin