Simply Amazing from a newbie

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Simply Amazing from a newbie

Postby crosj » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:27 pm

:-D Type two diabetic for 15 years with a weight problem. I am on oral meds and insulin. I came across Dr MdDougalls plan and I actually signed up for the 10 day live in for January. I wanted to get a head start so I hung out on these boards and read the books and watched the dvds. Armed with all this information I went to the store and loaded up with "good stuff". After two weeks I am so pleased!! My blood sugars are outstanding. My weight is slowy coming off. I am eating brown rice, potatoes and pasta among other great foods and I can't believe the results in only a couple of weeks. I found out that I like soy milk in my cereal and don't miss all the oils I normally would use in my cooking.
My goals are two fold- Blood sugars in control and weight off (40 lbs). I am well on my way. Can you tell I am excited? Well I am!!!! :-D
crosj

Postby Love the Lorax » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:37 pm

Excellent!! It is truly amazing how fast our bodies respond to some good nutrition. I absolutely love reading others accounts of how they are improving with a change in diet. It is great incentive to keep on doing what's right, especially since I am still fighting cravings for foods that I absolutely shouldn't be eating.

Has your doctor seen your improved blood sugar numbers? We'd love to hear what he says about them!
Love the Lorax

Postby crosj » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:28 pm

I had an appointment with my diabetes mangement team this coming Monday but I canceled it. I want to have a few more weeks under my belt to show them what can be done and to prove that its not a fluke. When I do go (Nov 17) I fully expect them to decrease my insulin and hopefully my oral meds. Of course by them I will have dropped a few more lbs which is more proof to them that this lifestyle change has many benefits. I also will be seeing my cardologist before the year is out and I expect a decrease in my heart meds also. I will be checking back in everyfew days to let everyone know how its going. Now my next goal is to give up half and half in my coffee.. I have tried soy but its not the same. Then give up the coffee. Well thats another story.. LOL :-D
crosj

Postby hope101 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:30 am

Crosj, have you tried Chocolate Silk in your coffee? IMO, it's the best substitute for dairy in this application. Also, if you switch to Teecchino later, they go really well together.
hope101

Postby fulenn » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:59 am

crosj,

When I was still drinking coffee, I really like unsweetened almond milk, very rich tasting to me. I drink teeccino now and still use the almond milk.

Good Luck!
You will love this,
Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby crosj » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:15 pm

hope101 wrote:Crosj, have you tried Chocolate Silk in your coffee? IMO, it's the best substitute for dairy in this application. Also, if you switch to Teecchino later, they go really well together.

I have not tried chocolate silk yet in my coffee.. But I will!!!
What is Teecchino????
crosj

Postby crosj » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:16 pm

I have some unsweetened Almond milk both the vanilla and the chocolate. Worth a try.. thanks!!!
crosj

Postby Pat » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:12 am

Teeccino is an herbal coffee. Some natural food stores carry it, however, I bought mine on the internet directly from the company.

I love it and have no urge for coffee now. I like herbal tea, but there's something about brewing a hot, black cup of coffee in the morning that a tea bag just couldn't do for me. :-D
Pat

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:00 am

I never thought of chocolate silk in my coffee either. hmmmm sounds good.

I use to use Coffee Rich, which was vegan back then. NOW I'm not sure if it still is, nor am I sure about added oil. I was vegan but not mcdougalling. CR is usually frozen.

good lord, the main reason I wanted to respond was to say Congrats on the progress, and a big hug for being open enough to try something drastic. So you are going this january?? Lucky you.
Last edited by Faith in DC on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby crosj » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:06 pm

Thanks everyone for tips!!! I am doing so well that I am getting my deposit back for my January 10 day visit. The big test will be thanksgiving!!.. Then a couple of weeks later I am going on a cruise for 8 days. So........ wish me luck and send hugs!!!
Right now my biggest problem is EXERCISE!! I hate it. And we know that the more over weight we are the harder it is to exercise. I must admit that I have a lot more energy and I am thinking about dusting off the WiiFit...

:-) :-) :-)
crosj

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:41 am

you know, even us seasoned mcdougallers get a lot from seeing the program. Maybe sign up for one of their shorter ones. Or buy the different tapes. I use them all the time.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Return to How to Begin