New Here

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

New Here

Postby johnled » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:20 pm

I'm new to the forum but found out about McDougall a couple years ago.

In March of '06 I was diagnosed with a severe case of rheumatoid arthritis. I could not function without assistance for over two months. I spent a year on steroids and methotraxate.

My wife and daughter searched the internet and learned that red meat and dairy was not good for people with RA so I quit both as well as pork. I went almost a year with no meat of any kind then I slipped chicken into my diet a couple times a week.

I've not had any meds for a year now but in the past few weeks I have had several bouts with RA, some extremely painful. I've still avoided the medication but I am now trying to get serious again with diet. Of course my Dr claims diet has noting to do with RA.

I'm looking for good tasting recipes for one, I am an extremely picky eater so I hope I can pull this off.
johnled

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:08 am

welcome aboard. Sounds like you should have a good motivating reason for getting serious. You do know that McDougall does have copies of his books for a low price on this website. It may be worth a look. All his books have recipes, and of course, he has books totally devoted to recipes. I personally use the Quick and Easy.

Why not give us ideas on some of the things you like to eat (can include meat) and then we'll get an idea on your style and taste buds. I personally am a highly seasoned food lover, but I know that others are not.

We also have a food/recipe section.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby johnled » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:19 pm

I've been looking through the recipe forum and just fixed chile that I read about yesterday. It was way to hot for me so I had to tone it down, pretty good. I have a sissy tongue and mild salsa is about all I can handle.

I like many things with cooked tomatoes, salsa, pastas, chicken Parmesan, etc. Like potato soup & vegetable soup but all I ever have is from a restaurant so who knows what's in it. LOVE dill and kosher pickles, but they are not really a meal. Rarely I have pizza, pumpkin pie (but do like them very well), I do like ice cream but have only had it a few times over the past few years. I also have a handful of ginger snaps every evening.

I only eat meat (grilled chicken or tenderloin) a couple times a week.

I am only cooking for one.

Thanks in advance!
johnled

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:38 am

soups are super easy and it's that time of year, they really hard to mess up totally.

heck I do a super easy vegetable soup, with prepared broth (low sodium no fat) and frozen mixed veggies or soup veggies, add some cabbage or kale, couple bay leaves, S&P, italian seasoning and can of tomatoes.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Return to How to Begin