Just started this week. Not missing meat at all.

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Just started this week. Not missing meat at all.

Postby kimmir » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:23 am

:D Hello all, I was just informed of this diet this weekend. My boyfriend parents are doing this. So I looked it up online and read for about 4 hrs all the free information, went to the local grocery store and found enough of the things I can have right there so I decided to go ahead and jump right in. I have been having the oatmeal with S.F. apples sause and a hash brown for breakfast. A huge salad (with no dressing because I couldnt find oil free) for lunch and red potatoes with salsa or vegitarian burrito's for dinner.
I have been so satisfied and happy with this way of eating. I am nervous to venture out to far yet. I have a lot of weight to lose and my cholesteral is over 300.

I have been doing the low carb thing for so long this is a treat!! And I feel better already(started monday.) I am looking forward to learning from every one about this new way of life. I cant wait to keep on it and surprize my doctor at my next visit.

:D
kimmir

Postby Adrienne » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:09 am

Hi Kimmir

Good for you for taking control of your health and its great that you are enjoying this new way of eating in the process. Yes its hard to find oil free salad dressings. Its easier if you make your own. If you search the food and recipes forum you will find posts on how to make your own oil free salad dressings.

Good luck
Adrienne

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:20 am

Well if that isn't the coolest thing. I bet BF parents are excited to know that you thought their diet was so good. It is the healthiest.

The dressing deal is hard. It's especially rough for those that liked the thick creamy dressings like Ranch or blucheese. Remember there is no law that says you have to have a salad. Sometimes staying away from is easier. I loved vinegarettes, so I use plain red wine vinegar and herbs like greek seasoning. Though one favorite for dinner is a salad with some chili over it, it's like a taco salad. You could add some baked chips or tortillia strips. Salsa on salads is good too. Don't be afraid to try out some new dishes. It's funny how some food combos work well together.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby fulenn » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:37 pm

Welcome! I'm glad that giving up meat was easy for you. I am finding that I do okay until I get hungry and don't have something ready. Then I would probably eat anything that is set down in front of me. :eek:

I totally agree with Adrienne: try to make your own dressing if you can. I like to mix soft tofu with miso, garlic, and vinegar or lemon juice to get a creamy mixture. Works for me. Just get in there and try it! Then post a recipe so we can try it too! :D

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Letha » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:54 am

Hi kimmir,
Welcome. Lots of friendly people here. Let us know if you need anything. Best wishes.
Letha
Letha

Postby kimmir » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:13 am

Thank you so much for the Welcome! This really will be my way of life now as I am feeling so much better I have lost another 3 pounds this week! I do back slide by stepping outside the program but I notice it set my stomach to tumbling!! Live and learn as they say! Thanks again!!
kimmir

Postby sksamboots » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:59 pm

http://www.kozlowskifarms.com/

the above site has oil free salad dressing and other things..They taste better than I thought...Your doing great! :-D
sksamboots

Postby Becky » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:05 pm

That is so great you found out about McD, and from your boyfriend's parents! :-D Does your boyfriend follow this way of eating as well?
Becky

Postby kimmir » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:29 am

All though he likes alot of recipes I have learned to make he still likes his meat and dairy. He is 5 10" and 133 pounds soaking wet and needs to put on weight. Some people relate skinny with Healthy and he wants to eat what he wants when he wants. It would make my life easier if he would adapt the vegan lifestyle!!
kimmir

Return to How to Begin