Enjoy vegetables without butter?

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Enjoy vegetables without butter?

Postby edwardeoff » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:33 pm

I have no problem going vegetarian. However, I do have my vices. For example, I can make any vegetable taste good by cooking it until it's soft and seasoning it with the classic butter, salt, and pepper. You can make anything taste good with butter, salt, and pepper (potatoes, rice, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, carrots, you name it!). You take away butter and I don't know how to cook and eat these foods anymore. :-(

What is your standard way for cooking vegetables? No recipes allowed. I'm talking about super-easy, fast vegetable preparation.

Thanks in advance for your comments and opinions!
edwardeoff

Postby sigma957 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:58 pm

I use those steaming bags they sell, steam the veggies and put on some dill and lemon juice. Tasty!

I also will use Braggs aminos on steamed veggies.

Barbara
sigma957

Postby MadcityVegan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:33 pm

You can also buy an artifical butter flavoring. Check the seasoning section at your local food mart.
MadcityVegan

Postby Becky » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:44 pm

My standard vegetable preparation is to cook to desired tenderness and sprinkle with garlic powder and seasoned salt. I like my cooked veggies "well done" (tender), also. I don't miss the butter, oil, or margarine at all anymore.
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby fulenn » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:53 pm

I love my veggies with balsamic vinegar and a bit of salt & pepper. Yum!

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby proverbs31woman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:28 pm

I know that this may sound odd, but I add cinnamon and honey to my veggies along with creole seasoning. I definitely don't miss the butter although I understand how hard the adjustment can be.
proverbs31woman

Postby Daffodil » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:31 am

I used to always have my veggies with butter or margarine. But when i did it that way, i was never tasting them.
I tried steamed broccoli once with just a little twist of salt from my grinder, and it was perfect! I also use a little low sodium soy sauce on my veggies from time to time and on potatos too.
But mostly these days, i eat them plain or with a bit of salt.
Also, get a lime or a lemon, or both, and squeeze the juice onto the veggies. Also great on salad, pasta, rice dishes. Adds really nice intense flavor without the fat. You will be amazed.

As for ways to cook veggies. I steam mine the most. Other times I like roasted veggies in the oven. Also grilled veggies. Veggies on the grill.
Sauteed veggies in a non stick pan or with a little juice from no salt added tomatos. Get a book or two on vegan cooking. It will cover all the basics and give you some really great recipes too. 8)
Daffodil

some ideas...

Postby walker1 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:40 am

I use the McDougall Split Pea Soup cup. Prepare it as directed and pour it over cooked vegetables.

Also, I sometimes use canned, creamed corn in the same manner. (I always thought there was 'cream' in it, but there isn't.)

Hain makes a vegan gravy.
Try salsa too.
Check out the Asian foods aisle for duck sauce, hoison sauce, and teriyaki sauce.

Just use the above toppings sparingly. They don't have oils, but are high in sodium.

There is an old thread about potato toppings. You could find a few ideas on there. I'll see if I can find it and post a link.

Nancy.
walker1

link to potato toppings

Postby walker1 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:50 am

Found the list -- it has a bunch of ideas for potatoes, but I think they'd work for other veg too:
http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/tators2.html
walker1

Postby Pat » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:37 am

I've found that fresh lemon is wonderful on broccoli and cauliflower. I like balsamic vinegar on greens and brussel sprouts. Of course, catsup is wonderful on baked "fries" and salsa on baked potatoes. I even like balsamic on baked potatoes. I also use salt and pepper. I've cut down on my salt, but have low blood pressure, so still enjoy it on my food.
Pat

Re: link to potato toppings

Postby edwardeoff » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:43 pm

walker1 wrote:Found the list -- it has a bunch of ideas for potatoes, but I think they'd work for other veg too:
http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/tators2.html

Thanks for the link. I also like your idea about the soups/corn.
edwardeoff

Postby Becky » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:41 pm

Dijon mustard is really good on cooked cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and kale (probably other hearty greens, too).
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby Dale Jackson » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:36 am

I guess I'm lucky because I like my veggies rather plain. I hated all veggies except potatoes as a child, but now I like them all. I guess the only time I miss butter is for my baked potatoes, but I put chopped broccoli or veggie chili on them now instead of butter. I have never put butter on any other veggie. You might also try making some other McDougall friendly sauces that don't use butter. You can find them in his books or maybe at fatfreevegan.com.
Dale Jackson

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:07 pm

Lightly steamed the veggies have more taste. I usually just use lemon. Though I also use leftover pasta sauce on them and that's good, or even chreese sauce on them, and I've even used some gravy (veggie) on them if I have taters.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Carol » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:26 pm

I'm a fan of roasted veggies. Just plop them on a cookie sheet with parchment paper (so they don't stick) and cook them for 10-15 minutes in a very hot oven (400-450). Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, portobellos, garlic and onion do nicely this way. If left in long enough to carmelize, it's a whole different flavor than steaming or pan sauteeing.
Carol

Next

Return to How to Begin