newbie...again

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

newbie...again

Postby turquoise » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:34 pm

Hi,

I joined back in May and was doing well but allowed myself to derail and go back to crazy fad dieting. Vicious cycle. For the past 6 weeks I've been following a raw vegan diet. It wasn't easy. I dropped 15 pounds but now have sores in my mouth, bumps all over my palms and fingers, and was suffering from bad pains in my head - not headaches but shooting pain and lack of energy. It was so hard to exercise but I pushed myself and ended up feeling sicker as days went on.

So, I decided to stick with vegan eating because I do enjoy it but I really think my body is telling me something with the all raw.

Glad to be back. :cool:
turquoise

Postby Letha » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:58 pm

Hi turquoise,
I hope you get to feeling better soon. Won’t it be nice to have some hot cooked soup or oatmeal this winter?
Letha
Letha

Postby fulenn » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:33 pm

Glad to have you back! It's good to see people return because they feel better doing this than anything else.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby turquoise » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:18 am

Thanks Letha and fulenn.

I'm happy to say that all the problems I was experiencing are completely gone. I'm glad I listened to my body and stepped away from 100% raw. Of course, those who follow that way of eating would most likely say it was signs of detox. I tend to disagree.

I've been reading the newsletter archives and notice some recipes contain nuts and tahini. Is this something new?

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
turquoise

Postby Becky » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:41 am

turquoise wrote:I've been reading the newsletter archives and notice some recipes contain nuts and tahini. Is this something new?

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Welcome back, turquoise!! :-)

Nuts and nut butters (such as tahini) have always been part of the regular McDougall plan in moderation, since they are high fat foods. Those who are overweight, sick, or practicing Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) are advised to avoid nuts in any form, as well as tofu, olives, avocados, and flour products.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!
Becky

Postby turquoise » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:45 am

Thank you for responding, Becky. :)
turquoise

Return to How to Begin