trying to get started...

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

trying to get started...

Postby brighteyedluv » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:34 am

Hi there. Just getting started on this program and am pretty excited to see how it works out!

I was wondering what other people out there use for seasoning. For example, I bought some rice noodles and have no idea what to use with them besides a beef or chicken stalk, haha. We're normally a big meat eating family, so this is a big change.

Also, was wondering if anyone has found a good substitute for bell peppers and mushrooms? I feel like my dislike for these veggies might make this diet a little more difficult?

Thanks so much for any help you can give!

-heather
brighteyedluv

Postby Letha » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:55 am

Welcome Heather,

Regarding mushrooms and bell peppers, what to do depends on how prominent the ingredient is in the recipe. For spaghetti sauce with mushrooms you can just leave out the mushrooms. For stuffed bell peppers ….. well….. you’d have to find something else to stuff, like a squash perhaps. I haven’t found a fat free way that I enjoy mushrooms yet but they are so nutritious & low calorie that I’ve taken to shredding them and putting them into soups where I don’t even notice them.

Here is a Mary McDougall recipe using rice noodles from the April 2008 newsletter.

=========

Asian Noodles and Vegetables

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 6

8 ounces linguini or spaghetti or 14 ounces rice noodles
1 ¼ cups vegetable broth
7 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
1 carrot, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
½ pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1 baby bok choy, sliced
1 bunch green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 leek, white and light green parts thinly sliced
1 cup shredded napa cabbage
1 cup mung bean sprouts
1 cup frozen green peas
1 5 ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Put a large pot of water on to boil. Drop in the uncooked noodles of your choice and cook until tender. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, place ½ cup of the vegetable broth in a large saute pan or wok. Add 3 tablespoons of the soy sauce, the garlic and ginger and heat to boiling. Stir in the carrot and celery and cook for 3 minutes. Add the remaining vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes.

Mix the remaining vegetable broth and soy sauce together with the cornstarch. Add to the vegetable mixture while stirring, and cook and stir until thickened. Pour the vegetable mixture over the pasta and toss well to mix. Serve at once.
=======
Letha

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:51 am

I think vegans tend to like mushrooms in stuff for the mouth feel and 'meaty' texture, especially portabellos. But keep trying, maybe you don't like the mild button ones because you've only had raw, or canned or something like that.

Personally green peppers bother me and I burp them. So I sub red peppers which are so good. Have you tried them? Better yet find some roasted red peppers in water at the store and try them. NOTHING like green peppers.

Boy it's a shame you don't like mushrooms, there is some great mushroom broths out there for the rice noodles. Vegetable broth may need some doctoring for you.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

How goes it?

Postby 50spark » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:57 pm

How are you doing on the new plan?

Feel great?
"America is stronger when all of us can take care of all of us." Christopher Reeve

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcLcUjw/]
[/url]
50spark

Postby brighteyedluv » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:04 pm

Thanks so much for all the help! I am doing pretty well. My body's still trying to adjust to such a major change, but I've lost 7lbs in 6 days which is a huge plus. I'm still trying things out and trying to figure out what to make for each meal. I have a couple people starting the program with me which has helped a lot. We'll see how it ends up. Think the most difficult part so far has been living without coffee, haha. :)
brighteyedluv

Return to How to Begin