Stuck

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Stuck

Postby 50spark » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:58 am

Okay...I initially lost a good amount of weight, but now I've been stuck at around 223/224 for weeks. The scale is not moving.

I have learned through my research of The McDougall Plan that I am sabotaging my efforts through the use of oils...I am working on eating foods without olive oil and other oils (this is a real effort for me). And, I am beginning to incorporate modest exercise into my daily regime (again, I work too much and am looking for the opportunity to walk during the day).

Finally, I think I've identified another culprit in my diet: caffeine! It is a monster that has owned me for many years. It calls my name at all hours of the day!

The journey is worth it...but it is hard.
"America is stronger when all of us can take care of all of us." Christopher Reeve

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcLcUjw/]
[/url]
50spark

Postby Letha » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:28 am

Getting the oil out and keeping it out is the primary transition for most of us, especially if we were already vegan.

I’m not saying caffeine is good, but coffee has no calories. If you want to lose weight, the oil thing is far more important than the caffeine thing.

I’m just saying. :)
Letha
Letha

Postby hope101 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:15 am

Have you read the links on food density in the sticky at the top of Jeff's forum? If not, I highly recommend you do. It's very basic science, but probably the most helpful tool for weight management I've seen. People, it turns out, consume food for a specific weight rather than caloric intake. So guess what happens, when you eat oil at 4000 calories per pound, rather than fruit, at 300 calories a pound? It's good stuff!
hope101

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:59 am

Hang in there. We all go through a series of changing and we also have to re-evaluate periodically. I know I get 'sloppy' at times. But the oil is a big one with 9 calories to a gram. It's so easy to add on hundreds of calories.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

I gave it a try: food without oil

Postby 50spark » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:43 pm

Stir fried without oil...taste was great. It was different for me. I wanted to pour on Sea Salt, Soy Sauce, and other flavors...I did put a little on...but I wanted to pour it on. Feel like I'm going to miss out.

It was a good baby step. I had no idea about the oil. Wow! No wonder I got stuck!
"America is stronger when all of us can take care of all of us." Christopher Reeve

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcLcUjw/]
[/url]
50spark

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:31 am

I also put soy sauce on my stir fries. Oh and if you are into spicy, chili paste mixed in is good.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Return to How to Begin