Met my goal

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Met my goal

Postby noodle » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:59 am

Back in Oct. when my doctor gave me the go ahead to start walking after my surgery, I set a goal of walking a 13 minute mile. As I started out, it was taking me almost 20 minutes because I still had some pain.

But today I DID IT!!! It is a beautiful morning here in So. Cal. We actually have enough frost on the ground that it almost looks like snow!
Anyway, my 15 yr. old son and I headed out the door for a brisk 2 mile walk. I was walking fast just to keep warm! The first mile which includes some hills we did in 13 min. flat. Coming back we did the second mile in 13:22. I am so happy. :-D

So I guess now I'll bump the goal down to 12 min. by the end of Feb.

My dh also bought a Pilates book and mat, so we are doing the beginning exercises together to improve our core strength and flexibility.

Have a great day everyone! :-)
noodle

Postby hope101 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:05 am

Yay noodle! :D
hope101

A 13-minute mile?

Postby Burgess » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:31 am

A 13-minute mile is very fast, about 4.6 miles per hour (if my arithmetic is right). A typical walking speed, over a long distance, is a 20-minute mile (3 mph).

Do you have a special way of walking, as race-walkers do?

At any rate of walking, congratulations for both setting a definite goal and for achieving it!
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Postby noodle » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:52 am

Burgess,

Thank you for the kind comments, and Merry Christmas!

No, I don't have any special way of walking. I just try to use good posture, pump my arms at my side, and stay focused on the task at hand. I notice I slow down if my mind wanders, so I really concentrate on walking briskly.

I'm really open to any suggestions from anyone who knows about race walking. I know I'm proabably doing alot of things wrong and could improve with some help.

My husband wonders why I can't just relax and walk and not time myself. :D But since I'm not running anymore, I want to make the most of walking and get my heart rate up enough to where I feel like I did when I ran.

Anyway, thanks again and have a Happy New Year! :-)
noodle

Re: Met my goal

Postby Clary » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:23 pm

noodle wrote:
But today I DID IT!!! :-)

HOORAY for you, noodle. What a wonderfully satisfying feeling to set a personal goal and meet it. It's an inside job!

"Let a joy keep you. Reach out your hands and take it when it runs by." --Carl Sandburg
Clary

Postby slugmom » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:38 pm

Wow, that's really brisk! Some of my walking videos supposedly have 12 minute miles, but that's just based on averages and step counts and beats per minute. When I get out there on my own little stubby-short legs, I'm much MUCH slower in real life. LOL! I'm hard pressed to walk an 18 minute mile in real life! Good Work, Noodle!
- Kim

slugmom

Postby noodle » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:42 am

Thank you Slugmom and Clary -

Yesterday I had a great 4mi. walk at a 13:33 per mile pace.

This morning I did 3mi. at a 14:33 so I was considerably slower. :cry:

I'm also up 3 pounds from holiday feasting. I had some birthday cake that my Aunt got for my son, some cookies, and pumpkin bread over the last week. So now I've got to cut out the junk and get back on track.

Today it's going to be potatoes and raw veggies for this Noodle! :D
noodle

Return to Exercise and Fitness