Alternatives to Running

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Alternatives to Running

Postby windycitychick » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:54 pm

I also love to run, but my knees are not as cooperative as they were in the past so I've found some less intense alternatives:

Step aerobics/Weights--Classes at the Y or Cathe Friedrich tapes
Walking--add some hill work for variety and intensity
Kickboxing--it's hard at first, but stay in the back of the room and "dog" it until you get the hang of it
Swimming--I like to do a heavy kick workout with fins

Any other former runners out there who have found ways to add intensity without joint stress?
windycitychick

Postby liam13 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:25 pm

I've gotten into the elliptical machine at the gym. Until I lose a bit more weight I want to keep the weight off the knees and ankles. Walking is a big one for me. I do hope to return to running as there are some great hills around my home to run on. Liam :-D
[url=http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/][img]http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-day/slider-man2/lb/245/185/250/.png[/img][/url]
liam13

Postby noodle » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:39 pm

I'm a former runner too. I ran from 1981 to 2006 (Aug.) Subtract some time off for having my two boys :D

I'm now walking everyday, usually a three mile hilly course. My best time so far is a 13 minute mile. I have found this to be really enjoyable and my muscles still seem to be very toned.

I also have a Soloflex that I use 3x a week, and a Total Gym that I use 3s a week.

My husband and I are also learning to do Pilates.

I miss the fun of being able to run, but I'm doing my best to make the most of what I'm doing now. :)
noodle

Postby zeuxia » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:47 pm

I still run, but I alternate it with hard swimming and sometimes biking. I find biking is harder for me than swimming or running! Isn't that strange? Also biking is a LOT easier on your knees, and it is also good for toning the muscles around your knee so they are more stable.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnIe9aF/]
[/url]
zeuxia

Postby windycitychick » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:26 pm

Thanks so much for your great ideas. I have been getting into walking more lately. When I was younger, I'd alternating running with racewalking and got to be a very fast walker, but I've slowed considerably. A 13 minute mile would be a great pace for me to work toward. Also, thanks for the suggestion of biking. We have lots of power cycle classes I could do this winter, but I much prefer outside riding which I will try to add to my workout schedule this spring.
windycitychick

Return to Exercise and Fitness