Turbo Jam...

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Turbo Jam...

Postby LJ » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:55 am

Does anyone own and use the Turbo Jam videos? I've read a lot of good reviews and was wondering if anyone here on the boards used them. I'm thinking of buying them. I actually have a nice library of exercise videos and actually use them...The Firm (with fanny lifter) is my favorite series. I also have other series of The Firm and 2 different series of Tae Bo videos. I like Tae Bo but sometimes he gets a little too crazy for my taste, like I can't keep up or something...drives me nuts. I've had GREAT success with The Firm in the past though, just wanting to try Turbo Jam but don't want to waste my money.

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Re: Turbo Jam...

Postby serenity » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:52 pm

LJ wrote:The Firm (with fanny lifter) is my favorite series. I also have other series of The Firm and 2 different series of Tae Bo videos. I like Tae Bo but sometimes he gets a little too crazy for my taste, like I can't keep up or something...drives me nuts. I've had GREAT success with The Firm in the past though, just wanting to try Turbo Jam but don't want to waste my money.

I loooove The Firm. I'm in my 50s and still quite overweight, so I use some common sense, but it's the only series that I have never become bored with. On the days that I do it, I bounce out of bed, because I like it so much.
I tried a Tae Bo, but found it too high impact. I thought it might be, which is why I just bought one tape to try.

I haven't yet tried Turbo Jam. When I Googled Turbo Jam customer reviews, a bunch of web sites came up with comments from customers that you might find helpful.

Let us know if you try it.
serenity

Postby LJ » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:28 pm

Serenity...thanks for the advice. I did read a lot of reviews so I caved and bought the Turbo Jam series on ebay. I think I got the set for about $45 (72 brand new) I don't have them yet so I'll be sure to let you know how I like them. I definitely don't want to quit the Firm... I LOVE them too!! I just wanted something else to add. I'm the same as you, I've never gotten bored with The Firm. They make me feel so good and the results come quickly!! I haven't done a Tae-Bo video in quite some time. My hubby likes them though..he loves to do Billy Blanks ab work-outs..they are good but I find that the Firm ab work does the trick for me, and so much easier!! I just got back to my Firm work-outs after the New Year and I can already feel the muscles coming back in my legs. I also notice it in my rear-end too. So nice to feel some muscle again...only gets better from here!!!

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Postby TerryP » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:45 pm

serenity,

Do you have any particular favorite Firm DVD'S that are especially your favorites? I remember The Firm from years ago and always like them. I remember reading years ago they went to a lot of trouble to make a very good quality VHS. Is this still true but for DVD'S now? I think i'm going to invest is some of these. I'm also in my 50's.

Thanks!
TerryP
:wink:
"A DREAM YOU DON'T FIGHT FOR CAN HAUNT YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE"-ROBOTS
TerryP

Postby LJ » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:04 am

TerryP wrote:serenity,

Do you have any particular favorite Firm DVD'S that are especially your favorites? I remember The Firm from years ago and always like them. I remember reading years ago they went to a lot of trouble to make a very good quality VHS. Is this still true but for DVD'S now? I think i'm going to invest is some of these. I'm also in my 50's.

Thanks!

Terry,
See the 'Tone Body just McD' thread in this forum. I posted a link to my favorite Firm Series on ebay.

LJ

Postby TerryP » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:46 am

Thank you!

Take care,
TerryP
TerryP

Postby serenity » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:56 pm

TerryP wrote:serenity,

Thanks!

Hi Terry,
I started with the first Body Sculpting System. Then I got Body Sculpting System 2, then BSS 3. (Plus I have a single cardio - calorie killer 2, I think.)

BSS - Of the 3 videos in this set, I use 2. The 3rd one is abs only, which doesn't interest me. The aerobic/toning one is great, especially if you are new. It gives instructions for beginners to stay with the 8" step. (A recommendation that I would continue with for a while. I am now using a 10" step. No way will I use the 14 until all excess weight is off.) The sculpting one is also pretty good, especially if you prefer to do lower body one day and upper another day. I don't - I do them all at once, so my lower half is exhausted by the time we get to upper.

BSS 2 - This is better than the first set and the best I've tried so far, except that it gives no warnings to beginners to use the lower step. I think it is because this is the one that introduces the sculpting stick and I guess they figure that helps. But if you want to protect your knees, I still say work up slowly. The aerobic / toning one is very good, although Emily moves too quickly and sometimes misses cues. The sculpting one mixes up the upper and lower, which I prefer. It seems to create more of a sweat and I last longer. The 3rd one is a maximum cardio, which I find very challenging.

BSS 3 - This is the one they introduced that didn't last long. They quickly brought out the Transfirmer. The bench on this one was a piece of junk and broke the second time I used it. Plus, the bench required too much space. One advantage of the fanny lifter is that it is very compact. Because I haven't used it much, I can't critique the tapes, but I didn't care for the set, clothing, or music much. However, I kept the tapes, because if I ever get the Transfirmer, I think I can use them with it. I'm sorry to say that I think The Firm got greedy and rushed this set to market.

Haven't tried the Transfirmer. 1) Space issues as noted above. 2) I'm not sure how easy it would be to modify height and intensity for my needs on it. When I win the lottery and get a bigger house, I will definitely give it a try. :D

Oh, I also got a Calorie Killer tape because I wanted some additional cardio tapes. This is pretty good if you can keep a straight face when Nancy jabs and punches. She has the wimpiest punch I've ever seen. But it's a good workout and only 30 minutes.

Years ago I bought some of the original mansion videos. They were too difficult for me at the time. I don't know what I did with them, but I'm thinking of trying a few of those. Some reviews I read indicated that they were more difficult than the systems currently on the market.

Bottom line: If you only buy one system, go with BSS 2.
serenity

Postby TerryP » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Oh serenity, thank you so very much for all your info!;-)

I'm excited about getting started. I'm looking for some additional fun exercises to add to my walking program. These look wonderful.
Ok Firm, look out here I come! LOL.

Well, once I get my room organized and have a place to workout. LOL

Thank you again,

Take care and Happy McDougalling!
TerryP
TerryP

Postby LJ » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:46 am

Terry, the BSS 2 is the one I was talking about too. Wonderful work-outs that can be easily modified to any fitness level. Its the one I provided a link for that uses the fanny lifter and sculpting stick.

LJ

Postby TerryP » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:02 am

LJ, yes thanks. I looked the BBS 2 up also from your link, ebay. I also went to firms homepage to learn more.

You've given me a great start thanks so much! ;-) I can hardly wait.
Last edited by TerryP on Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TerryP
TerryP

Postby LJ » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:52 am

Ok, so I now have my Turbo Jam videos and here's my official review. I absolutely LOVE the cardio work-outs! There is a 45 minute and a 20 minute cardio work-out. I'm sure I will be doing those a lot. Chalene, the instructor, really focuses on your abs and your core, but without hitting the floor and doing crunches. The work-outs are 'tae-bo like' but much more fun and easy to follow. I love the music. I love the fact that there is a timer at the bottom of the screen so you know how much you have left. There are times when I don't think she cues properly, but that won't be an issue anyway after I've done them quite a few times. The other work-out is a sculpting video using light weights. Its alright but I probably won't be doing that one very often. I prefer The Firm videos for my weight training. I just don't like to get 'dancy' when I'm weight training, but thats just me. Bottom line, the Turbo Jam is a very nice addition to my library of videos and they won't be collecting any dust!!

LJ

Postby serenity » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:31 pm

LJ wrote:Ok, so I now have my Turbo Jam videos and here's my official review. I absolutely LOVE the cardio work-outs! Bottom line, the Turbo Jam is a very nice addition to my library of videos and they won't be collecting any dust!!

Thanks for the review. I'm always looking for good cardio to do in between the days I do weights. I'll definitely look into this one.
serenity

Postby TerryP » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:59 pm

Wow, thanks for the review as well LJ. You both have been wonderful and so helpful! Thank you thank you!;-)

This is going to be fun fun fun...

By the way, CONGRATULATIONS to the both of you on your weight loss efforts! ;-);-);-)

The firm workouts will make my workouts more exciting and will also help with my weight loss as well.

Take care,
TerryP
TerryP

Postby minirunner » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:58 pm

I have Turbo Jam and Turbo Jam Advanced, I LOVE THEM!!! They have great music and a mix of kick boxing and dance moves. They are fabulous and I have gotten excellent results with them!!! I highly recommend them!! They never get boring because the music is great and the moves are fun. They have a little dancing and then tai chi cool down which is really fun!!
minirunner

Postby groundhogg » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:33 am

I see Turbo Jam is by BeachBody...the ones who make the p90x series that we're currently working on.

From what I've been able to see about Beachbody...they make really excellent workout programs! beachbody.com has examples (photos too!) of people's successes in shaping up on different programs they offer...all are very impressive!

Keep us up-to-date with how Turbo Jam helps y'all!
groundhogg

Next

Return to Exercise and Fitness