Anyone want to try streaking with me?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Anyone want to try streaking with me?

Postby LoriM » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:18 am

Now that I have your attention... GRIN!

Apparently this is a "new" term in exercise circles (although how new it is is debatable--I'm just, as usual, out of the loop) where instead of simply planning 3-4 workouts per week, you exercise every single day, and try to build up a "streak"!

I'm thinking that I'll start my streak today, and see how long it can last. If you miss a day, you just start your streak over. If you were smart enough to exercise yesterday (I typically don't on Sundays), then you are already ahead of me.

My initial goal will be to streak to the end of the month, but then I'm going to try to streak through February (it's a short month, right!?), and maybe I can streak to my birthday! Whooohooo!

Lori

PS As in all things, "exercise" is defined by YOU--definitely plan to mix up your workouts between aerobic and weight-training activities, or the upper body and the lower body. Cross train, in other words--gee, I *am* old. (c:
A statistician is someone who is skilled at drawing a precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.
LoriM

Postby KareninTN » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:34 am

I already do exercise daily, with very rare exceptions, and here I didn't even know I was doing something "special"! :lol: Good luck with your streak, LoriM.

karenturtle
McDougalling since summer, 2005. Maintaining my 100 pound weight loss since summer, 2007. My Star McDougaller stories: video written
KareninTN

Postby happyalyssa » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:19 pm

I try to exercise at least 5 days a week. Every once in a while it will catch up to me and I need a day off to recover (my "non existant" abs were so sore yesterday I had to rest, for example).

In any case, posting what you do in Roberta's corner helps you to stay on track. I started out my post today with what I did at the gym, realized it was only 25 minutes, felt guilty, and then we walked out to dinner and it felt good to be able to add that extra 50 minute walk. Sometimes seeing it in black and white is all I need for motivation.

Make sure not to overdo it though. You wouldn't want to work certain muscles every day without giving them any time to recover. Maybe switch on and off; cardio, weights, cardio, weights, yoga, or something of that sort. As the month goes by, I am finding different ways to exercise with different things I enjoy. So far I really like rowing and the 20 minute weight circut at the gym, but I add a lot of walking (and recently yoga) so that I don't stress my muscles too much.

PS-I just reread your post and you seem to be rather aware of mixing up the situation, so I think you have a good thing going :) Best of luck! Not sure I can guarantee a big long streak with you just yet, but it is definately something I may consider here in the upcoming spring months where I can get outside and play along with just going to the gym or for a walk.
happyalyssa

Postby Chile » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:16 am

"Streaking" is easy if you build exercise into your lifestyle. It took a while for it to sink in, but I finally realized that I don't really get that much enjoyment out of sticking to a regular regimented exercise schedule such as biking x distance 3 days per week, doing intervals 2 days a week, etc.

What I DO enjoy is incorporating exercise into my lifestyle. Instead of driving to the store, I'll bike or walk there. This is pretty easy as there are stores at a variety of distances from me: 1/2 mile, 1 mile, 2 1/2 miles, and 3 1/2 miles. I've even biked to a new natural food store 8 miles away...up two big hills! With panniers on the bike, I can carry up to 40 pounds of groceries. With a large daypack, I can carry a fair amount while walking as well.

I admit that I did start doing some scheduled strength-training this year with the 8 Minutes in the Morning program. In addition to that, I'm responsible for filling and "loading" the 5 gallon water bottles (at 40 pounds each) at home. I also volunteer once a week at my CSA where we have to pick up 50 pound bags of potatoes, sweet potatoes, and oranges all night to restock for the members. I keep thinking I ought to go back to volunteering at the Friends of the Library once a week so I can haul heavy boxes of books around.

One valuable insight I got from reading the huge book, Owner's Manual for the Brain, a number of years ago was that research had shown that you actually receive more benefit from engaging in exercise you enjoy rather than forcing yourself to do an exercise you do not enjoy. So, move but be sure and pick a movement you like (even if it's streaking on your own property...at night...with no moon in the sky...) :shock:
Chile

Postby hope101 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:04 am

LoriM: Okay, I'll join you. It would help me to have someone to report to. I am okay with posting in Roberta's corner, but to me it's not quite the same as having people expecting me to report in. When do we start?

Chile: I agree 100% with the need to like what you do for fitness or incorporating it into your life so it isn't really "extra". You have some really good ideas about how to go about that.
hope101

Postby LJ » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:34 am

I'M IN!! What a great idea! I've been exercising 4-5xs/week so I think I should go for a streak. I usually don't work out the days that my body is feeling fatigued, but those are the days I need to just go take a 30-40 minute walk. I've gone straight since Sunday so I've got 4 days under my belt. (haven't yet today but will this afternoon). Woo hoo...I'm streaking!!!!

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Postby LJ » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:25 pm

Is everybody still streaking? Hit day 6 today. I was sore today from my work-out yesterday so today was just a 20 minute ab work-out followed by 20 minutes of cardio. I vow to do something every single day!!! Hope you're all streaking too!!

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Postby hope101 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:17 pm

LJ, I'll streak with you. I didn't do enough Thursday, but today I certainly did so today is Day 1 for me.
hope101

Return to Exercise and Fitness