Half marathons, 5 Ks

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Half marathons, 5 Ks

Postby pinemeadows » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:37 am

Anyone here ever done the Disneyworld half marathon? I am training to do same - some days I think I have a great fantasy life of my own!

I'm in my 60's, (although my mindset is about 39), and so far have gone from a 19+ minute mile to 16:30. I STILL have a long, long way to go!!!! :eek:

It would be fun to hear from others who have done this or any other half marthon. I'd also like to learn about 5Ks that can be run/walked.

Jeanne
pinemeadows

Postby Chile » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:44 pm

Wow, what a great improvement on speed. 'Course this is coming from a walker... :cool:

I walked my first half-marathon in December with an average 17 minute mile pace (including 4 bathroom stops - cold weather is the pits!) I've signed up for a 5 mile trail run, which I will walk, in mid-April.

I surprised myself this week by signing up for an introductory running course with one of the running shops in town. In any discussion of races, I've always stressed that I'm a walker and said, "If you see me running, stop and pick me up because there must be someone chasing me!" So, I'm not sure what possessed me to sign up for this course, but we shall see how my feet* and body respond.

*Plantar fasciitis issues mostly resolved by eliminating dairy products but pain still flairs up when I stand in one place for too long. Walking hasn't been a problem but I don't know what the additional impact of running will bring!
Chile

Postby Sunny » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:12 am

Jeanne, I used to run a long time ago, I have done the Human Race (walk/run/rollerblade) in our area a few years ago,( I walked) I do not remember the length or time, but it was fun. :-D
I just wanted to say I am impressed with you as a person taking on this challenge, good for you. I love hearing stories like this, I hope you will keep us updated on your progress. :-D
And as far as age goes I'm with you I just turned 50 and feel 29, I love it. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Most marathoners walk part of the course

Postby Malva » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:36 pm

If they didn't, then they would collapse before getting to the finish line.

I'm talking about regular folks, not the Olympic Athletes!
It's OK to walk a marathon, even a half-marathon.
I did my first half-marathon last September by walking and jogging.
It was such a joy to cross that finish line!
I wasn't the fastest, but I wasn't the slowest in my class either.

I've been bit by the long distance bug, and am presently training to do my first full marathon. We've got several in the area coming up, I was hoping to do it at the end of April, but I don't think I'm quite ready to do it (physically). The heart has no problem, it's the leg muscles and tendons that argue with me on occassion. :)
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Postby VeganMan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:58 am

You can go to active.com and find numerous races by searching with Zip or city and type of event.
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

5K trail run

Postby Chile » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:39 pm

Just finished the 5K event this morning. The first two miles were on paved road and the last 3 miles on dirt trail, including 92 "stairs" - going UP, of course. This was my first event since starting a Women's 101 Running course. My pace was a bit faster overall than in the half-marathon I walked in December. Currently, we're at 4 minutes walking, 1 minute running. (Although, I skipped the running interval at the stairs. I was plenty winded at the top!)
Chile

Congrats Chile

Postby libellule » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:47 pm

Congratulations Chile on both your half-marathon walk and your 5k run!
Keep it up. We all love hearing about your accomplishments.

--Li
libellule

Overdoing it?

Postby Chile » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:08 pm

So today, after yesterday's 5 mile event, I did the 5K Race for the Cure with my sister and her family. She ran, I tried to stick with her, and my legs rebelled. My quads were pretty tired from pushing it yesterday, especially with the hills and stair climb. I had to give up on running much today, but I did walk a very fast pace (for me) and ran short intervals. My time was approximately 45 minutes, so that was a good brisk 15 min/mile pace. Next year, I hope to run the whole 3 miles...at any speed. 8)
Chile

Postby Karen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:26 pm

I recommend reading anything by John Bingham, the Penguin...especially his book _No Need for Speed_ as I'm quoted in it.

I also recommend that you visit jeffgalloway.com (I think that is the URL) to tips on finishing strong.

The penguin says "The miracle isn't that I finished the race: it's that I had the courage to start" ...or something like that.
Karen

Postby nomikins » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:30 am

Chile, was the 5k with the stairs in Bisbee? I saw ads for that race when DH and I were there in January.

Folks, you can definitely get yourselves moving and complete 5Ks, 10Ks, 1/2 and full marathons. It takes perserverence. Once you get into a regular routine, it will be astounding how quickly your fitness improves. Take it from me. I went from walking with major foot pain to jog/walking 1/2 marathons. To date, I have completed 10 half marathons. I am signed up for another 1/2 in September and my first full marathon in November.

And no, I am not thin (but I'm working on it). I have lost 40 pounds following the McDougall program and exercise. I tend to regain when I lapse back into higher fat (but always vegetarian, mostly vegan) eating. I want to lose 40-50 more pounds.

The book that gave me the courage to train for my first half marathon is John Bingham's book (written with his wife, Jenny Hadfield) Marathoning for Mortals. It really breaks down the distance into something that becomes far less intimidating. The book has training plans for 1/2 and full marathons, walking, running, walk/run and run/walk. It is very accessible. I strongly recommend it if you are contemplating doing a race. As an aside, I have met John and Jenny at race expos - nice folks!
nomikins

Postby Malva » Tue May 01, 2007 1:25 pm

I would also suggest Jeff Galloway's walking/running books.
He's very knowledgeable, and has great recommendations for those of us who are a little older. :) I'm 53.

I've followed his plans and have completed two half-marathons, one last September and the second one last weekend.
The first one took me 3:30 hours the second took 2:58 hours.
I also had bronchitis during the second one, so my time would have been better if I was well.

I'll be San Francisco for the Bay to Breakers 12K. Running with my son-in-law! :D

I'm planning to walk/jog the Portland Marathon in October.
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

First 5K results

Postby VeganMan » Tue May 01, 2007 1:31 pm

Finished my first 5K Apr. 21st in warm and very windy conditions: 23m 17sec....was shooting for <20m, but not bad considering the conditions and my first race.
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

Postby hope101 » Tue May 01, 2007 1:53 pm

Way to go, VeganMan. I was wondering how you are doing. Not being a runner I have no idea if the time you posted is good, but I applaud you for the effort! :D :thumbsup: Keep up the good work.
hope101

Postby Malva » Tue May 01, 2007 2:15 pm

That's a 7:30 mile pace for VeganMan. (Seven minutes 30 seconds per mile.)
Which is very, very good for your first race. How old are you?
Malva

Postby Chile » Wed May 02, 2007 10:42 am

Nomi, nope, not the Bisbee Stair Climb. I'm not sure I'll ever want to do that one. One thousand stairs? Yikes! And, I've been on those staircases. Some are downright scary - narrow steep steps with no railings going up for multiple "flights". The 5 mile race I did was at a state park with 2 miles on the road and then 3 miles on a trail.

Malva, the program we're following is based on Jeff Galloway's techniques. That's a nice improvement in your half-marathon time. Congratulations!
Chile

Next

Return to Exercise and Fitness