Lin. Wii Boxing.

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lin. Wii Boxing.

Postby Clary » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:54 am

4/4 Lin wrote:
"20 min. Wii boxing"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lin, I left you a message on yesterday's "Who's Movin'" thread about your "Wii boxing". --but realize you probably won't see it that way, so here is a copy (with a couple of edits):

What a GREAT idea! My three grandsons got Wii recently, and the 10-yr-old helped me create ME--or is it Mii? (My Me/Mii is really cute! ), and taught me how to use the controls to Wii box. I was amazingly good @ 65 yo! --still have great reflexes, and my speed isn't bad either (and I beat my grandsons' records and beat the computer every time! ) BUT what I noticed was that I was actually perspiring when my time was up (which I rarely do) , and I made a couple remarks about what great exercise that was, and FUN, too, but didn't even think about it as "exercise" for me--I was thinking about the boys.

I am over there 4 afternoons per week after school as a nanny/granny/tutor/taxi-driver, board-game champ :-P , and will have longer hours in the summer with them. I'll set some time aside to regulary Wii box.

**Thanks for the clever idea!**
Clary

Postby groundhogg » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:04 am

OK...I give up.

What on earth is it?????? :P
groundhogg

Postby hope101 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:38 am

Hey, Clary, have you seen that website about the guy who lost some weight and got buffed using the Wii? He didn't change his diet at all, just added in the Wii regularly and had quite impressive results. Sorry, I don't remember the website, but you could google it.

Groundhogg, the Wii is the latest offering from Nintendo. It has a device that you can hold in your hand and use to play baseball, golf, boxing, bowling, tennis. You may have heard of this machine when a lot of TV's were getting broken when people didn't attach the wrist strap properly and got a little too carried away. :oops:

Myself, I love the Dance Dance Revolution that my daughter got me into. I can easily spend 1 hour to and hour and a half and not even notice.
hope101

Postby groundhogg » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:36 pm

Oh...I never heard of it...I guess I'm officially "Out of it" :eek: --

I guess it would be expensive, especially for those of us who don't have Nintendos in the first place...

...don't even know if groundhoggie has one or not...???
groundhogg

Postby groundhogg » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:19 am

Is this what you did, Clary?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTR05wzYQqU&NR=1

Then you whooped 'em all???

Now that's some pretty good movin', there! Good job! :P
groundhogg

That's close...

Postby Clary » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:52 am

groundhogg wrote:Is this what you did, Clary?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTR05wzYQqU&NR=1

Then you whooped 'em all???

Now that's some pretty good movin', there! Good job! :P

That's the one, Groundhog!

The video is "close", but I was so much better! :nod: ;-) My step-father in Los Angeles "owned" a boxer when I was in my 20's--and I learned some "smooth moves". --And I had the advantage of Wii boxing one-on-one with the computer and not having to monitor my moves to protect someone next to me, and didn't have a coffee table in front of me, so I could really "dance" as well as swing! --and could "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee". ;-)

Seriously, it was the most real laugh-out-loud fun I have had in a long time. And now my grandsons (15/13/10) not only brag that I drive a Mustang, and that their school friends don't belive them that I am 65, BUT that I whopped Wii! How fun! :-D
Clary

Postby Lin » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:56 pm

Wii boxing is definately a good way to get exercise and it's really fun!!
Clary, my 15 yo DS recently got a Wii and the whole family has been enjoying it. I tried the Wii boxing one day and after just one bout, I realized I was getting some really good exercise!! :D Then I thought to myself, .... I'm going to do this one day as my exercise and see how it goes. So I did it yesterday. I boxed quite a few Mii's and I have more skill points for boxing now than my DS!!!! My Mii character is quite cute too!! :D
My DS and DD created Mii's for my DH and me. It's really cool that the characters really do start to look like you after looking at them for awhile!! :lol:
I like all of the sports, but the boxing and the tennis get your heart rate up the best.
My favorite is the training sessions for bowling. I love trying to knock down all of those large groups of pins. I still haven't gotten a strike on the last group .... the 91 pins. That's my goal!!! My best so far is 88.

There have been stories in the news lately, about how happy some parents are with the Wii because their kids are getting in shape and losing weight instead of just sitting sedentary in front of the TV.
I wonder if Nintendo realized how beneficial this would be for people, both kids and adults. This is something really fun that the whole family can do together and really have a good time as well as get good exercise. Sometimes it can be a little difficult getting your teenage kids to want to do anything with you, but so far, this is a great family activity to do.
And it doesn't matter how old you are either.

Clary, I think it's great that you're doing this with your grandsons. They'll probably always remember that they have a cool grandmother who can "bob and weave" better than they can!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lin

Let all that you do be done in love.
(1 Cor. 16: 14)
Lin

Postby hope101 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:51 pm

Here is that guy I was talking about with his weight loss experiment:

http://wiinintendo.net/2007/01/15/wii-sports-experiment-results/
hope101

Return to Exercise and Fitness