Triathalon Time

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Triathalon Time

Postby VeganMan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:02 pm

I'm getting excited for the upcoming season as it will be my first. Could use some decent weather to get some outdoor biking in.

Is anyone planning on doing any Triathlons this season?
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

Postby LJ » Wed May 23, 2007 8:05 am

Little late in responding but I just decided today that I'm going to start training for a triathlon in October. I've never done one before so I'm a little scared. Oh well, my goal is to just finish. Its 6 mile canoeing, 5.5 miles running and 18 miles biking. Boy, I have a long way to go to get there!!!

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Postby VeganMan » Wed May 23, 2007 8:47 am

I finished my first Triathlon (sprint) last weekend! It was one of the best experiences of my life. I finished a .33mi swim/11.5mi bike/3mi run in 1hr 9min. I am hooked and am planning on 2 duathlons and 4 triathlons this summer, as well as a number of 5-10k's and a 1/2 marathon.
As a vegan athlete I've never felt better, I recover faster than ever and rarely have any soreness.
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

Postby LJ » Wed May 23, 2007 9:45 am

Congrats Veganman!!! I'm sure it is very rewarding to finish a triathlon...especially your first one. I can't wait but am no where near ready. I use to run a lot but can't right now until I drop some more weight. I agree with you on being vegan though. About 8-9 years ago I was a gym rat and a vegan (long story how I got off that track...which I regret) and being vegan is hands-down the best road to fitness. Recovery time wasn't even an issue. Good luck with all your races. Are they all right there in KC or are you doing any travelling?

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Postby VeganMan » Wed May 23, 2007 9:48 am

LJ wrote: Good luck with all your races. Are they all right there in KC or are you doing any travelling?

Thank you! Most are in the Metro area but I have a few in the Omaha area and on dual in western Nebraska.

Good luck to you. Remember to enjoy your journey as well as the results.
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

Postby libellule » Wed May 23, 2007 1:03 pm

Veganman,
Congratulations! We are so proud of you. It is a wonderful thing to feel alive, isn't it?!
I am curious, tri'ing as a vegan, how have your food requirements been as far as caloric intake??? Have you noticed a difference in how much your body is demanding? I am just curious.
Well, we look forward to hearing more about your fun this spring and summer.

--Li

PS Your times are really good. My best time was 1 hr 40:28 I am a major league slow-poke at biking and running. :) Have fun.
libellule

Postby VeganMan » Wed May 23, 2007 1:41 pm

libellule wrote:I am curious, tri'ing as a vegan, how have your food requirements been as far as caloric intake??? Have you noticed a difference in how much your body is demanding?

Thank you! Yes there have been some changes. Prior to training(about 4mo ago) I really didn't eat much. Now, I can't miss a meal, snack all day and nite, and have a bigger breakfast. However, even with this increase, I still don't think I eat that much (compared to omnivores my size, but maybe not as fit as me). I have had no ill effects though. Sometimes when I do really long workouts like on the weekend, I eat huge amounts of food after my workout. I should probably be eating more before, but like I said, I haven't had any problems and I want to keep it that way.
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

Postby hope101 » Wed May 23, 2007 5:30 pm

Congratulations on completing a wonderful endeavour, VeganMan! Keep us in the loop as you continue on your journey so we can celebrate with you. :D
hope101

Postby libellule » Wed May 23, 2007 9:28 pm

VeganMan, I was wondering if you became ravenous afterwards. I find that I am not too hungry before workouts, but afterwards, keep your hand and feet away from this herbivore as I may eat them! *L*
Well, definitely keep sharing your experiences with us. We would love to celebrete them with you, as Hope mentioned.

I think I might have to do a tri this summer. I went to the gym yesterday and the other day and it felt good. I think the rebounding has really been helping me. I think Friday will be a run outside day, just to see how my joints handle it! *L*
VeganMan, thanks for the inspiration.

-Li
libellule

Postby VeganMan » Thu May 24, 2007 2:59 pm

I'm usually not too bad about eating thru the fridge after a workout in in the afternoon, as I have been eating all day to prepare for it. But on my early AM runs, when I get back home, it's a free for all, microwave, range, toaster, blender all going at the same time.

It was raining here a few weeks ago and I "had" to go to the gym to get on the spin bike...I only lasted 30min, I hated it. The next time I was supposed to ride...raining again...no problem, I just put on a long sleeve shrit and went outside. I prefer to run or bike in the rain than be holed up in a gym or at home. It's so liberating, kind of like letting the kid out when your mother says to come inside and stop jumping in the puddles.
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

Postby libellule » Thu May 24, 2007 8:25 pm

I am so with you about being outside! I nanny a little boy during the day, so sometimes pushing the babyjogger burns me out. Plus, forget about biking with him and swimming with him. So, I end up going to workout, on a heavy workout day, to the gym @ 5AM. The week I have off during the summer, I will be exercising outside everyday.
I especially love working out here in the Pac NW, because the fir and cedar trees really give me a lift when I breathe them in! *L* The first year I did a tri I did one in Florida when I was visiting my mom, oy! I about died, because of the heat and humidity. :)
It sure made me appreciate where I live. Although, I could use a bit more sunshine.
--Li
libellule

Postby VeganMan » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:16 pm

Between the modified McDougall'ing and triathlon training, I'm down to 171lbs following my swim workout last nite. Just incredible. Went home and had chips and salsa and some non-dairy ice cream!!
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

Postby libellule » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:03 pm

Congrats, that is wonderful!!! *L*

-Li
libellule

Return to Exercise and Fitness