getting into the groove to move

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

getting into the groove to move

Postby kimba » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:47 pm

Im awful. I just have no get up and go when it comes to moving my butt. How do you all stay inspired?

The weather here has just been so nasty that I cant get outdoors to walk. And to exercise indoors, its just so boring.

kimba
kimba

Postby hope101 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:19 pm

What works best for me is to have something I actually like to do that involves more than exercise. For instance, I take a dance class where I get to meet friends and socialize, listen to music I like and get out of the house. If I miss too many classes in a row it becomes harder to follow the teacher so it becomes hard to justify skipping. The exercise itself is almost incidental to why I attend.

We have a big black lab who really doesn't care how awful it is outside. So I usually take her for a 15 minute walk if nothing else and plug in my iPod where I might even listen to audiobooks if not music. Usually once I'm out the door the 15 minutes gets stretched out unless it's really miserable.

My sister tapes her favourite soap opera and watches it while using her home elliptical.

Some people get a walking partner for accountability or join walking clubs. Some people join indoor soccer teams or baseball teams so that other people depend on them again.

You might try mall-walking groups--they are in most major cities. You might take the kids bowling or swimming and join in with them.

Just don't be a perfectionist about it and try different stuff until you find the thing that you love. And if you generally like to walk, just make yourself get out the door for 15 minutes and see if you really want to turn around at 7 and a half minutes.
hope101

Postby Lin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:25 am

kimba,
Probably most of us feel like this on occasion too.
But I have ammunition..... it's called a rebounder!! :lol:

I have no excuse when the weather is bad, with my Needak Rebounder sitting in my den. Some days, and the weather doesn't even have to be bad, I just have to make myself exercise. Once I put on some upbeat music and get myself bouncing on the rebounder, I'm fine and I enjoy the different moves and dances that I can do to the beat of the music. I pretty much lose myself in the music and let my mind wander to whatever I want to think about while I'm getting a good workout.

Many people like to put on a good movie and rebound.

You just have to have at least one exercise or sport that you really like and can fall back on when you don't feel like going outside or the weather is really too bad to do so.
I also have a whole collection of exercise videos and I switch around using them (stuff like T'ai Chi, QiGong, Yoga, Pilates, Body Ball Toning, etc.).

I bought a DVD collection at Circuit City a couple of weeks ago. It's called 10 Best Fitness. It has over 12 hrs. of all kinds of workouts on it. This is what it has: Kick Butt (kick boxing), Yogacize, Fat Burners, Body Focus (low impact cardio and strength training), More Alive (non-aerobic fitness), Tai Fit, Rotation and Motivation, Back in Action (Pilates), Lite Aerobic Workout, and One Step Beyond (low impact step aerobics). I've only done a couple of them so far, but what I've done has been fun and well worth the $14.99 that I paid for this 5 double-sided DVD set.

My teenage DS recently got a Nintendo Wii game system and the Wii Sports on it are really fun. The Boxing really gives you a good workout!! So I count that as exercise too!!!

The key is to start.
Once I put on music and step on my rebounder, I'm fine. Or once I start my walk/jog, I'm going to finish it. I just have to make myself do that sometimes.
Lin

Let all that you do be done in love.
(1 Cor. 16: 14)
Lin

Postby happyalyssa » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:54 pm

I whole heartedly agree with Lin & Hope that the most important part in getting exercise is to just start. Even if you only plan on doing 10 or 20 minutes of something, you will often times find that you can do 45 minutes no problem. In fact, there's been times at the gym where a good movie or t.v. show is on and I will stay longer just to see the end of it :lol:

One thing I want to mention too is that you can't use nasty weather as an reason not to get some sort of exercise (lots of different types mentioned above to remedy that). If you live anywhere like me, then you have nasty weather 3/4 of the year. You have to consider the long term and figure out what works for you, otherwise every spring you'll be trying to lose the weight you gain every winter, and then once summer rolls around you end up fighting the excuses again because it is "just too hot." I LOVE exercising outdoors compared to working out in the gym so definately take advantage of those beautiful days to go for a hike or a swim or something you love, but find something indoors that is at least tolerable to get you through the rest of the time :)

Don't feel bad about changing that routine of yours either. You could go bowling & for a walk a couple times this week, next week you could try a group yoga class & walk some more, the following week you may want to spend some time checking out the YMCA, etc. Keep it interesting and as fun as possible!
Start date: January 1, 2007
23 lbs lost...32 to go!
happyalyssa

Postby Polona » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:08 am

hey Kimba,

Find something that is not taking so much effort, like medium/fast walking or light joging. After you finish (about 1/2 hour to an hour) you should feel happy and light at the end. Make sure you are at a pace where you can breath normaly and maybe say a few words. Make sure you get lots of oxgyen into your body. If it's on a fresh day with some sun, you will not want to stop.
I think I am addicted to moving. I can not go a day without doing something. On weekends, I do 2-3 hours, not all in one piece, but still. Biking, uphill walking, light jogging....I tell you, you will like it so much, you will not want to stop. Wish you all the best.
Polona
Loli
Polona

exercising year round

Postby yvie » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:43 am

Hi there,

I can't agree more with happyalyssa more. I too, live where the weather is cold and/or yucky 3/4 of the year. But I still exercise year round. (And though I find it more difficult to get out in crappy weather, I also find it more invigorating):-D

I see those fair weather exercisers all the time. They make no gains at all because they start in May, end in September, lose all their gains during the winter and start where they were before the following spring.

As I said in a previous post, I am in great physical condition (at 46, I have a resting heart rate under 60). I have never been one to push myself very much in terms of hard workouts, but I consistently exercise year round about five days a week. Walking and biking are my chosen forms of exercise.

The best present I ever got was a good pair of ski pants for the winter. I am never cold, even in the most inclement of conditions!

I hope you find something to work for you, that you enjoy. Such great posts with ideas of different and fun ways to stay in shape. Don't worry about doing something too strenuous, just make sure you do it every day to get the habit, then ramp it up once your habit is formed.

Best of luck to you!
:D

Yvie
I want to spend the last half of my life as healthy and vibrant as possible. Eating well and exercising are instrumental to having a good life. Thanks for the inspiration!
yvie

Staying Motivated

Postby Gina Louise » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:20 pm

I see it as MY time...mental health time...no chatter time...LOL...if the weather is good I go for a looooong walk/hike in the sunshine...if the weather is bad I put on my headphones and lock myself up somewhere on my rebounder or exercise bike...
Gina Louise

Postby kimba » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:50 am

Hi Gina,

How loooooong a walk are we talking about?

I have an exercise bike too.

kimba
kimba

Getting into the groove of moving

Postby Losing Linda » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:30 am

I got a long term goal and told everyone I want to climb Mount Whitney and my DH is adding to the goal by doing it with me. Sooooooooooo no excuses :eek: Therefor I decided to do a Boot Camp for myself. I got mini goals to check off and to work on. Run a mile, bike 30 miles, swim 20 laps, walk 20 miles and climb 10 times a day up my stairs adding until I can do 50 times straight. I set a goal then as I check it off set more until I can climb the mountain. Then I go on day hikes when we can to do 5-10 miles up in the mountains. I also have to increase what I can backpack by add books in it. The point is to have a goal and break it down to small goals and go for it . :D
Losing Linda
Losing Linda

Postby Gina Louise » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:08 am

kimba wrote:Hi Gina,

How loooooong a walk are we talking about?

I have an exercise bike too.

kimba

Well .... it may not be that long for you folks...between 3-5 miles :D
Gina Louise

Wow!!!

Postby kimba » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:03 pm

That is a long way for me. Im good if I can get in 1.5 or two miles. The longest Ive ever walked is 2.5.

Way to go girl.

Do you walk alone? Listen to tunes?

I like to listen to my tunes, keeps me going. It would be better if I had company though.

kimba
kimba

Re: Wow!!!

Postby Gina Louise » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:14 pm

kimba wrote:That is a long way for me. Im good if I can get in 1.5 or two miles. The longest Ive ever walked is 2.5.

Way to go girl.

Do you walk alone? Listen to tunes?

I like to listen to my tunes, keeps me going. It would be better if I had company though.

kimba

When I am with the kids and hubby I don't listen to anything but them...LOL...but when I get an opportunity to walk alone I like to listen to motivational cd's and audio books:-)
Gina Louise

Postby kimba » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:52 pm

That's nice. Makes it more enjoyable, and not like work.

kimba
kimba

Return to Exercise and Fitness