SLOW results!

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

SLOW results!

Postby daniellechef » Mon May 21, 2007 11:22 pm

I have been hitting the gym HARD for the last 6 months. I had my body fat taken in January and it was 28%. It is now 24%. I know I have made progress, but it is so slow. I work out very hard 3-5 times a week doing 30 minutes of cardio and full body weights. I have been seeing a personal tranier, but he has very little understanding of veganism and feels it is unhealthy. I am getting frustrated. I'd like to get down to 21% so I look really good in my swimsuit, but it just doesn't want to come off. Does anyone have any tips? books? articles? :?
daniellechef

Re: SLOW results!

Postby serenity » Tue May 22, 2007 6:09 am

daniellechef wrote:I have been hitting the gym HARD for the last 6 months. I had my body fat taken in January and it was 28%. It is now 24%. I know I have made progress, but it is so slow. I work out very hard 3-5 times a week doing 30 minutes of cardio and full body weights. I have been seeing a personal tranier, but he has very little understanding of veganism and feels it is unhealthy. I am getting frustrated. I'd like to get down to 21% so I look really good in my swimsuit, but it just doesn't want to come off. Does anyone have any tips? books? articles? :?

I was just watching a video of an old Covert Bailey series that he did about 15 - 20 years ago on PBS. He says that a healthy body fat % for a woman is approximately 22 % (give or take) and that our bodies will not want to go below that. At 24% you are probably reaching the lowest point your body will naturally want to go.

Also, at 24%, I have to believe that you probably already look great in a swimsuit!
serenity

Postby Burgess » Tue May 22, 2007 6:27 am

daniellechef wrote:I'd like to get down to 21% so I look really good in my swimsuit, but it just doesn't want to come off. Does anyone have any tips??

My understanding, as a layman, is that the long-term purpose of the McDougall Program (diet and exercise) is increasing our chances of living a longer and healthier life. About 80% of those benefits will come from having a healthy diet, and 20% from exercise.

If that is the case, then concentrating on diet might pay off more than any further increase in exercise.

The McDougall diet, as I understand it, is one that includes only plant foods that are "whole" (unrefined, unprocessed wherever possible), widely varied, high-fiber, and very low fat.

What are you eating? Could you describe your last three meals -- starch, fruit, vegs, drinks, and condiments?
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Postby Purdy » Tue May 22, 2007 11:25 am

daniellechef wrote:I have been hitting the gym HARD for the last 6 months. I had my body fat taken in January and it was 28%. It is now 24%. I know I have made progress, but it is so slow.
I am getting frustrated. I'd like to get down to 21% so I look really good in my swimsuit, but it just doesn't want to come off. Does anyone have any tips? :?

Well, you have a serious problem which is very clear to me. No wonder you are frustrated.
You see, your main problem is "time"..... Yes, "time"....
Your failure to understand "time" may come from your lack of faith in "time" and the process of your body.
With "time" you will have your solution. Doesn't have anything to do with your gym workout or probably with your diet.
Its all about "time".
So it will make your life much better if you become friends with "time"...

Just as a example. I have been getting into better shape for the past 7 years. After a initial rapid pace, I have slowly improved my phyical ability on a steady basis.
Included in that is a lower and lower body fat until I have come to the point of concern that it would go lower than is healthy. In fact it is currently below what would be ideal for any reason other than cycling.

But the interesting thing is that after getting my body fat low, it continues to go lower and lower naturally.
So, back to your problem. Your only problem with body fat is the clock in your head. No problem with your body, or exercise or probably with your diet. The problem is a psychological one with "time".....
If you adjust your outlook and allow nature to take its course, you will get as low as you would responsibly desire in your body fat percentage.

On the other hand, if you do as many do, and get frustrated, you may end up quitting, thus ending up as most do, fatter than before.
To me, the course of action for you is clear. Just keep doing what you're doing and adjust your thinking.
Purdy

Postby griscelda » Mon May 28, 2007 10:42 am

Every person's body responds differently to exercise and diet. While overall the McDougall style of eating is great way to become healthy, some people just have to eat the normal McDougall way to loose weight, some people have to be very strict about what they eat to loose weight. Some people don't have to exercise and they can loose a lot of weight. I am one of those who has to watch every little thing I eat. My body is extremely sensitive to my diet and exercise I can easily jump 3 lbs in 1 day- and not because I ate like it was thanksgiving. For me I have to eat healthy and exercise (cardio) at least 1 hour a day at least 5-6 days a week to see big results- otherwise, without the exercise I'm lucky to loose anything at all during the week. For me I can eat healthy and workout 30 minutes and not really loose any weight. My mother is the same way. Experiment, and figure out what is best for you. Maybe, like was suggested before, check what your eating, maybe doing MWL for a bit will help- and ignore what your trainer says about veganism not being healthy. In fact- prove to him that it is by eating that way and exercising to become healthy. Or try upping the time you spend exercising. Find out what works for you.
Good luck.
griscelda

Postby hope101 » Mon May 28, 2007 11:42 am

Daniellechef, if you didn't have the timeline of this summer, would you be happy with your progress. A 4% drop in body fat in 4 months is actually very good.

Wrt support from your trainer, here is a link that might reassure you:
http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/030900puathletesarepeopletoo.htm

Hope you don't get to discouraged by an admirable, but perhaps unrealistic goal. You'll get where you want to go but at the pace your body wants to get there.
hope101

Return to Exercise and Fitness