running sore quads

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

running sore quads

Postby Losing Linda » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:05 pm

I am having pain in my quads as I run and really sore for a day or so. What do you do about this, I stretch them before and after and warm up by walking first? Is this normal at first? I been riding my bike and hiking some.
Losing Linda
Losing Linda

Postby prairiedream » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:47 pm

Hi Losing Linda, I haven't been keeping up with fitness posts but saw your subject and thought I'd answer. I take it that you're new to running :) How far (or for how long) do you run? Do you do it every day or take a day off? How fast do you go, or what is your perceived exertion when you run? Are you breathing really hard or do you go at a fairly easy pace?

I've been running for over 10 years, and I do still occasionally get sore, but I find it's usually when I'm pushing myself to run harder than normal. I think it's pretty normal to feel sore when you're first starting out, but if you still are feeling sore after a month then I would try to change something, either go slower, or take a day off in between, etc. I know it takes a really long time for my body to adjust to any changes I make in my running routine, I usually give myself a month after just making a small change like adding 5 minutes or something.

Another thing is if you're running outside on concrete sidewalks, that's harder on your legs. If I've been running on the treadmill a lot, and then I switch to the sidewalk, I'm almost always sore the next day. I know it's not always possible to change the surface you're running on, though.

Good luck and let us know what happens!
prairiedream

Thanks for answer

Postby Losing Linda » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:18 pm

I have just started and do a little better and farther which means half a block instead a few houses. I run in the street because it is more even that the sidewalk. I walk then run and walk then run down the street for about my usuall walk route of 3 miles. Time will tell. I think I will space run every other day and bike other days. :)
Losing Linda
Losing Linda

Return to Exercise and Fitness