volksmarching

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

volksmarching

Postby annhett » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:03 am

American Volkssport Association - http://www.ava.org

The AVA's network of 350 walking clubs organize more than 3000 walking events per year in all 50 states, as well as occasional bikes, skis, and swims.
All events are open to the public

A volksmarch is a non-competitive 6 mile (10 kilometer) walk. It's not a pledge walk, it's not a race, it is a fun activity you do with a club, with your family, with your pet, or all by yourself. Volksmarching got its name from its origins in Europe.

I used to participate in these walks. When I took a vacation to Hawaii, I was able to do what is called a "year-round" walk.
annhett

Postby libellule » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:51 pm

Thanks for posting that link. When I lived in Germany, I used to volksmarch. I had forgotten about it.
Hmm, something to do!

--Li
libellule

Postby Malva » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:09 pm

I'm a Volksmarcher too.
Lots of fun walking in different areas around the state (and around the world) with a group of folks out for a good walk. Most are well organized with port-o-potties stationed on various points on the route. Most walks are 10K (6 miles).

I was at the International event walking with people from New Zealand, Germany, England and Japan.

I highly recommend Volksmarching to all McDougallers.
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Postby BillInInd » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:14 am

Just 2 weeks ago I went through my medals that I got for completing volksmarches while I was stationed in Germany. Usally the volksmarches were set up for 10km and 20km sometimes even 30km. I always went with a group from the base but instead of walking the volksmarches I would run them.

Oh well I was young and stupid.:)
BillInInd

Return to Exercise and Fitness