Any other bikers?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Autumn » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:50 am

That is big. I love watermelon, obviously :D Unfortunately my daughter only picks at it and my husband doesn't eat it so I have to be careful when I buy it so I have a chance to eat it before it goes bad.

Please post the pickle recipe. It sounds interesting and delicious.
Autumn

Watermelon Rind Pickles recipe

Postby Chile » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:36 am

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/watermelon_rind.html

Note that these contain a lot of sugar. Use them sparingly as a condiment. :)
Chile

Postby Autumn » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:14 pm

Thanks Chile :-D I think it might be a bit much salt for me right now. Im trying to eat very low salt, 400mgs a day due to my dizzy spells. But it does sound good.
Autumn

A biking I will go!

Postby margiereilly » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:30 pm

Am I excited! I have been wanting to ride my bike again but the neighborhood is filled with fast moving cars...Sacramento has a wonderful bike trail. Miles along the river! It's getting there that presents the problem.

I have been looking at Big Five and sporting goods stores for a bicycle carrier but the price of $50-$90 has been a deterrant to me.

Today, I walked into W.E.A.V.E. off of Fair Oaks Blvd in Carmichael and found a bicycle carrier still in its original box! Instead of $50 or $90, I took it home for $8.98! Can hardly wait to get my bicycle on the car and headed for the bike trail! Oh, joy!
margiereilly

link

Postby fiddler3 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:34 pm

This is a wonderful link! And answers the question of whether to ride on the sidewalks.. And if I am reposting a link one of *you* posted before, forgive me...CRS at work (can't remember stuff)

http://bicyclesafe.com/

fiddler3
fiddler3

Postby BillInInd » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:01 am

My first post here. I am going to start McDougalling on Monday. I've lost close to 40lbs riding and changing my diet this year. I haven't been able to reach my goal cholesterol wise so the McDougal diet is what I need in order to get of Cholesterol medicine. I'm 50, 6' and weight 192lbs. I really don't want to loose much more weight (180lbs minimum). I'm hoping I can eat enough to keep above that 180 mark and reduce my cholesterol to a point to where I can say goodbye to Lipitor forever. I'm currently on 40mg daily.

It looks like I might be the only recumbent rider here. I started riding about 4 years ago off and on, but the pain in my back, butt and wrists was just too much for me to bear. I'd ride 10 to 20 miles then I would hurt for days. Just last month I rode 65 miles pain free.
BillInInd

Postby Autumn » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:59 pm

Sorry I didnt see the responses till now-

Margie- That is a wonderful deal on a bike. I paid close to $300 for mine 17 years ago! It has held up well though.

fiddler- Thanks for the information, we are always nervous taking our bike through town with the traffic.

Bill- Thats wonderful! We have a few people in town with recumbent bikes, they look so comfortable. My back always hurts from riding bikes but I have a pinched nerve in my lower back and I think that's why its such a strain. Lately I have been walking on my treadmill since rain and cold weather is starting up. Mainly the rain is what keeps me indoors. Im up to 6 miles a day at a jog.
Autumn

The pain of riding a bicycle

Postby brannach » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:20 am

Hi

I started cycling after I lost some weight, but I had had RSI and I suffered from sore wrists, aching back and numb arms for a while. The answer for me was to do some Pilates (or other core strength work). I was putting too much weight on my arms and not using my core for stability. Now I can ride for hours without any problems.
Roseanne
I had a weight problem then I discovered it was a thinking problem. Now I know there's a good food solution.
Fave Quote - "Everyone and everything around you is your teacher." Ken Keyes
brannach

Postby Golden Ghost » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:57 pm

I just posted this in the spinning tread.

Hey guys, why spin in a class. I started mountain biking six years ago and love it. This year I bought a light and we ride at night. Yesterday we rode and the trails were icy. However with studded tires we had no problem. Get out and enjoy the outdoors.
Golden Ghost

Previous

Return to Exercise and Fitness