swimming and weight loss

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

swimming and weight loss

Postby momof4 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:51 am

I've read different reports that swimming isn't that great for weight loss, but the conclusions were because people tend to eat more after a swimming workout than they do after biking or running.

For those who swim, what is your opinion on this? As long as you're McDougalling, are you still seeing weight loss as well as improved fitness?
momof4

Postby Silvia » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:34 am

I don't do McDougall yet but I swim.

I don't know in your countries, but the typical frequency in a swimming pool in Italy is twice a-week. For about 50 min.
This isn't enough for weightloss, but it helps me keep the weight where it is. It is very good to improve your breath capacity and the rithm breathing looks a lot like Pranayama: the control of the breath leads to the energy/resources/ones control. Also, it's the best activity if you have joint problems.

It's different if you're able to do it more often, but for me would be very hard: all the preparation takes a lot of time and at the moment I don't have it.

Ciao!
Silvia
Silvia

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:41 am

That's funny about the food. I know I was always starving when I swimmed. Heck even as a kid.

It is a good exercise for recovering from injuries. It can really build a body, look at olympic swimmers, but it takes a lot of swimming to get there. Since it's not weight bearting I don't think you would burn as many calories. BUT if it's something you love to do, then heck do it. Because loving your exercise is half the battle.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Karen » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:20 am

I remember that Dr. Mirkin had a radio show one time that talked about swimming and weight loss. I'm sure the show is on his website.

He also mentions it briefly here:

Exercising at a leisurely pace won't help you lose a lot of weight either. You burn calories while you exercise and after you finish exercising. Intense exercise raises body temperature which continues to be elevated and burn more calories for several hours after you finish exercising. This also explains why swimming is not the best exercise for weight loss, because water conducts heat away from your body so fast that your temperature does not rise. When you exercise on land, air insulates your body so your temperature rises.

I think that all activities you do will help with keeping you healthy, but I've read this sort of thing before -- that it is difficult to lose weight if your only exercise is swimming.
Karen

Postby griscelda » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:40 am

I read some of those reports too, and the catch with that was that the water was very cold, and that appearaantly caused people to be more hungry.
But I've heard lots of people say that they don't exercise because they always eat more afterwards so there is no point.... That tells me that either they are starving themselves before exercising, or they are just eat the wrong things or are eating too much if they actually are gaining non-muscle weight, or they are just looking for an excuse. Sure your hungry after you exercise, but to have it ruin your diet?
griscelda

Return to Exercise and Fitness