Completed my first marathon

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Completed my first marathon

Postby Malva » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:21 pm

I had a wonderful experience at the Portland Marathon, which is very walker-friendly.
I walked most of the route, but decided to run the last 5 miles.
I was so fresh at the end I could have gone another 5 miles.
(I even got Volksmarching credit! Whoo-hoo!)

There's no way I could have done this 2 years ago. But because of the McDougall Lifestyle (healthy eating, healthy excerising) I was able to complete my first marathon in 6 hours 5 minutes.

Maybe next year I'll do it in 5 1/2 hours???? :D

For those of you who never considered doing a marathon, I never considered it either until last year when I did a half-marathon just for the fun of it. I got bit by the long distance walking bug, and it's been nothing but fun (even when it rains!).
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Marathons

Postby ebecker9 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:06 pm

Congratulations!! My son, his wife, and my daughter have been running marathons and halfs for the last several years and I am starting to get the desire to attempt one. You give me added incentive to try.
ebecker9

Postby serenity » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:14 pm

Congratulations, Malva.

I'm 55, and I am looking at joining a running club in the next 6 months or so. Never would I have believed that I would ever even entertain the idea - running has always been tortuous. But with this lifestyle, I am discovering the jock within. :D

Thank you for sharing your victory with us. It encourages me tremendously!
serenity

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:35 am

way to go Malva. You should be proud.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Return to Exercise and Fitness