weight lifting

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

weight lifting

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:59 am

Anybody into weights here? I use to be back 10 yrs ago. Just started again three weeks ago. I'm back in love with it.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

I love the weights too!

Postby SarahJ » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:41 am

I've been doing strength training, including free weights, on and off for a little over a year. I had to take a break a few months ago because of a back injury(pulled muscle). I was so happy when I was able to go back to my routine. I love the way my body moves and how strong I'm beginning to feel again. I sleep much more soundly, also. Anyone with insomnia ought to try it out.
SarahJ

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:23 pm

It's so cool when you pick something up that you once struggled with. For me it's 40lbs of wood stove pellets. Progress is also fast at first. That is very motivating.
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby LJ » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:12 am

I love weight lifting! Especially free weights! Next to diet, I think its the number 1 thing you can do to make your body look and feel great!!!
LJ

Postby Jackie J » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:38 pm

can you describe your free weight routine? thanks
Jackie J

Postby LJ » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:39 pm

Jackie, my weight training has changed from what it use to be. I use to literally be a gym rat back in 98-01. Spending anywhere from 10-15 hours/week in the gym. Then, I got married, had a family and, of course, my own body ranked last in my priorities. About 3 months ago, I decided to make myself a priority again so I'm still adjusting my 'routine'. Anyway, here's a typical week for me. I should also add that my actual weight lifting time runs about 30 minutes followed by 30 minutes of cardio. So, now, I'm spending about 5 hours/week in the gym and its working very well for me. I should also add that I belong to the YMCA, which I highly recommend....so many different things to do!!

Monday - Kickboxing class
Tuesday - Weights (back, biceps, shoulders) I normally do 3 exercises
for my back at 3 sets per exercise, 2 exercises for biceps and
2 exercised for shoulders/delts. I almost always do 3 sets.
(I should add that I vary the exercises too, I probably never
do the same routine twice.) Every weight training day con-
cludes with about 5-10 minutes of ab work. You can work
your abs everyday if you want, don't have to worry about
over-training the abs, but I do them 3xs/week.
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Spin class
Friday - Weights (chest, triceps and abs) followed by 30 minutes cardio.
Again, I do about 3 different exercised for chest and 2 for tri's.
Saturday - Weights (legs) followed by 30 minutes of cardio.
Sunday - Rest

I mostly do free weights but I use the machines for my legs more than free weights, I find it easier for me. Plus, with all the cardio work (I do alot of elliptical) and spin class, I just don't feel the need to work my legs out real hard with the weights. Anyway, just keep in mind, I'm rarely at the Y longer than 1 hour. I do the exercises that I feel like doing and don't worry about it too much. If you need ideas for exercises..especially for free weights...do a google search on weight lifting and you'll find a wealth of information to get you started. Don't be overwhelmed. pick a few for each body part and start there. One of the most important things to remember with weight training is that you have to work the muscle to fatigue. If you can do 12 reps in a set fairly easily, you should probably up your weight. I try to get the weight right to where I can barely do the last 3-4 reps. Don't worry about 'bulking'......that is extremely hard for a woman to do. The best shape I was ever in in my entire life is when I was weight lifting. I can't wait to get back to that point!! I should also add that I was a staunch 'McDougaller' back then too, which I've been away from also. So, I'm just trying to get back to where I know I can be. I already feel so good, but the weight loss is slow because of the muscle building. I'm measuring with a tape measure right now more than getting on the scale. The weight will eventually come off. One thing to note though, if time is a constraint or joining a gym is not 'doable'...a good work out is about 30-40 of walking, biking (whatever floats your boat) and then about 15 minutes of floor work.....push-ups, tricep dips and ab work. Sometimes, if I can't make it to the gym, thats what I do. I hope this helps you and if I can help you at all in any way..feel free to send me a message.
LJ

Weight lifting

Postby Edie » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:05 am

Yes, I'm a firm believer in weights. I am a 58 (in January) old woman who has been lifting (as a means of exercising, not buffing) for 13 years now. I started as a result of divorce to help manage my emotions, to steady my life while healing. After 6 years I paid for some training, and viewed it as an investment in good health. Using weights 3 to 5 times a week has been a physical and emotional blessing. I also do 30 to 45 minutes of cardio (mix). Total I spend about 4 days a week in the gym for about 1 1/2 hours. Because I tend to eat like a vegaterian I've managed to keep in good shape at 5'4" and 122lbs. Just had a physical this year and all my numbers were in fantastic shape. I swear by weights. Espically for women and their upper body. They need it for their back and arms to keep their stature. So, start and never quite. You want to be on the outside looking in, when your old....er :)
Edie

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Great to hear your progress Edie. Also wonderful to hear how long you've been doing it. Funny how so many woman shy away from it. I so love the muscle and being able to do things, and open thing, and pick up things all by myself.
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby Edie » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:37 pm

Yes, it's paid off. So keep up with the workout using weights. You'll never regret it! And having a resource such as the site of Dr. McDougall's is an added bonus. Best regards,
e
Edie

Postby Jackie J » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:19 pm

LJ - belated thanks for your routine -- i missed the post, somehow.
Jackie J

Postby Jan Tz » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:08 am

I used to use dumbbells but have recently switched to bodyweight exercises and a bodybar. These work pretty well.
Jan Tz

Postby Clary » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:07 am

Jan Tz wrote:I used to use dumbbells but have recently switched to bodyweight exercises and a bodybar. These work pretty well.

Jan--Will you explain a little more about the bodyweight excercises?
Clary

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:01 pm

Back when I use to lift the barbell's got me in trouble a couple times, so I switched to using dumbbells for safety (and lack of a spotter). Keeping form isn't as easy though. Now that I have company I can go back to barbells.

Oh an update, when I originally wrote this I was working out at the gym at work. I had a car accident back in may that hurt my hand. Well the not lifting around home while doing chores etc, really made my body get weak. I discovered it during physical therapy when i had to do deep knee bends and it about killed me.

A year ago I signed up to work a cruise for a disabled gal. It required that I lift her. So here the cruise was coming and I was needing to be able to squat 60 lbs. Hence why the urgency on working out.

I accomplished my goal and went on the cruise. When I got back Mom asked that I build my old gym at home again. So been working on that for a month. Just got it done last weekend. So going to be starting back to lifting with her and my son.
Faith
Faith in DC

Return to Exercise and Fitness