New Study About Pedometers

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

New Study About Pedometers

Postby SarahJ » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:00 am

I saw this article this morning. I've been holding out on using a step counter, but this study is pretty convincing. :-D

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2007/11/20/1111037-pedometers-may-encourage-weight-loss
SarahJ

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:02 pm

My problem with pedometers/step meters is finding one that works. I've had a number of them over the years, and some of the newer ones are so inaccurate they're useless.

I can walk a measured path and find the meter registered less than half the steps/distance, no matter how high the sensitivity is set or where I clip the meter. Some have complained that their meters don't pick up steps counted when walking up stairs, or do count "steps" when riding in a car as a passenger. Many meters also don't pick up steps when a person does certain exercise moves, like kick-backs.

It may be a good incentive to see those numbers add up, but it's a big frustration when you know you walked at least 5 miles on a measured pathway and your pedometer reads less than a mile.
VeggieSue

Postby Jan Tz » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:03 pm

It's so frustrating to buy a step counter and then find it doesn't work! I usually order online from America on the Move and have been very pleased with the performance. My husband wears one, too, and it also works well for him. I don't keep a step diary, but that's probably a good idea, too. Maybe I should think about doing that.
Jan Tz

One that works for me

Postby AnnaS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:34 pm

I have been very pleased with the New Lifestyles Digi-Walker, which I think was recommended by someone on this board a few years ago. The one I have is the SW-200, an inexpensive model with just basic step counting and without other fancy features. I have also given this one many times as a gift!
http://www.new-lifestyles.com/

I haven't been wearing it every day lately, but I did for a couple of years and it was always accurate. We have a one-mile loop that we frequently walk, and this always comes to about 2,000 steps for each loop.

My husband wears one constantly and records his steps every day on a chart. In his case, the SW-200, which has a plastic clip, kept breaking because he would smash it against something (??) so we bought a more expensive model from the same company that has a metal clip. That one has lasted over a year now. It is very useful to him because he can easily see when he needs to try harder to get his activity level up.

--Anna
on the McD program since 2002: age=65, BMI=18, b/p=110/70, tc=126, McD=100%.
diagnosed with lyme disease March 2010

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AnnaS

Charlie uses the "Sportbrain"

Postby Charlie » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:01 am

If you are looking for a good...I think low cost pedometer...then check out Sportbrain at... http://www.sportbrain.com ... You can use a USB cable that records your steps, miles, calories to your PC. It also has a clock. It is super and works for me...it can keep records for a year when downloaded to your PC. It will give you a running total of your steps, calories and miles...daily, weekly, monthly, 60 days, 90 days, 180 days up to 365 days. I think the cost is $39.95.

You don't need to keep a diary with this one...it is done simply by downloading to your PC with the USB cable...it does not require it to be done each day...you can wailt several days and it records each days results.

Oh yes, LifeDancer will have a new thread out shortly with a new challenge for 2008. We are just now completing her 1,000,000 step challenge for the last several months. Come and join us. :D

Charlie
Charlie

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:38 pm

Looks nice, but no good for me - I'm still using Windows 98 and the minimum requirement is Win98SE, the step above mine.

One of these days we'll replace this computer, but not in the near future. :(
VeggieSue

Postby alias » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:03 pm

I currently use a Digi Walker, and I've found it to be pretty accurate.

I am thinking of buying a Omron pedometer because it doesn't have to be clipped to the waist. You can carry it in a pocket.

I definitely find that the pedometer has made me walk further and longer. I set a goal of walking 10,000 steps (5 miles) when I go for my exercise walk. I than have a wall calendar (I don't hang it up) but on it I list my exercise for the day. Usually it is the number of sit up reps, arm weights reps/ pushups, stretches and steps walked. On a good day I do all categories, but I try to do at least one of these. And I try not to let 2 days in a row pass without walking. Being able to look at the whole month lets me see at a glance how well I am doing. I picked up a new 2008 wall calendar for $1 in a dollar store. So far I've only missed 3 days this month where I did not do any exercise.
alias

Return to Exercise and Fitness