Has anyone tried the Hip Hop Abs videos?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Has anyone tried the Hip Hop Abs videos?

Postby KristaO » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:45 pm

I love to dance, and this looks like a lot of fun. Has anyone tried this program yet? Below is a link to a short video, which will give you an idea, in case you haven't seen it yet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3tCaEx-E_V4
KristaO

Postby DianeR » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:33 am

I haven't tried this one, but I am doing a program, P90X, from the same company. If you go to beachbody.com, you will find a bulletin board for different videos.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. --
Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan
DianeR

Postby KristaO » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:48 pm

How do you like the P90X? My husband was thinking of getting it. I've heard that changing the workout is important, and Jack LaLanne changes his often. I may get the Hip Hop Abs videos... but first I'm going to try this program! Just saw it today on The Big Idea. Plus there's a 30 day money back guarantee, so I'll give it a month and see how it works! It's called Fluidity.

http://www.fluidity.com/Default.asp?Page=howitworks.asp
KristaO

Postby DianeR » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:51 am

I really, really like the program. I have gone through many exercise videos through the years and nothing has gotten me as strong and fit as I feel now finishing up my first round of P90X. I already am a member of a group that is starting their second round next Monday. With the way this is set up, there is so much variety and it is possible to push your limit each workout -- a higher weight, more reps, an altered technique, etc.

I'm measuring and testing today to see my progress. I'm rather curious about that. I know the weights I'm using are up, I can do things I couldn't do in the beginning, I don't feel I'm going to have a heart attack when I do plyometrics ... :lol: I know my upper arms are bigger, for one thing.

There is a rather long thread about P90X here:
http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1956
DianeR

Postby momof4 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:58 am

I'm working my way through P90 (not P90X!). I really like these dvds--they're about the only exercise ones, other than some Rodney Yee yoga dvds, that I like. I got Slim in 6 from ebay, but all those squats hurt my knees at this time. I really think whatever you're willing to do consistently is going to work!
momof4

Postby serenity » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:45 am

DianeR wrote:I haven't tried this one, but I am doing a program, P90X, from the same company. If you go to beachbody.com, you will find a bulletin board for different videos.

Diane -
I've been eyeing this a while, and enjoyed the previous thread that Groundhogg posted about her experience with it.

Now that I am getting reasonably fit from the Firm and from Spinning, it seems like it might be more within my league than it was before.

However, I exercise in a very small space in my living room. You know, push the coffee table out of the way, pull the weights out from under the table where I keep them. So... how much space do these routines require?

Thanks.
serenity

Postby DianeR » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:21 am

Not a great deal.

I think the most space I use up is when I have to take two forward lunges. If you have room for that, you should be fine. The side-to-side movement required is comparable. Really, you can always face a different direction, so if you can get this much space in one direction -- front, side, or diagonal -- it would be fine.

You do need to be able to jump up with your hands over your head and not touch the ceiling. Not a problem for me, but my husband can't do it. He can't even stand and reach up without touching our basement ceiling, so if he is going to do this program, he will have to modify moves.

You do need a way to do pullups or a pullup movement. I have used the bands they sell, which I attach to the top hinge of a locked door (the attachment kit is sold also). But now I'm up to the heaviest band and I'm not maxing out in effort. I think I'm going to move up to a pullup bar to be attached to a ceiling joist in the utility room next door.

I did the Firm for years but it seemed like I reached a plateau. This program really makes you push yourself higher. My daughter is a college athlete and she finds it challenging. My testing yesterday really surprised me. For instance, before the program I could do six standard pushups. (You put a pillow down and have to touch it with your chest for the pushup to count.) Now I can do 28. In the beginning, I could do 25 pullups with the purple band (which is either 20 or 25 pounds -- since they just give the range for the set of three women's bands of 15 to 30 and this is the middle one, I don't know). Fairly quickly I needed to buy the men's set of bands. Yesterday I could do 43 with the black band (50 pounds). I recorded substantial improvement in flexibility, ab, bicep and leg strength, and aerobic ability as well. My resting heart rate is less as is my body fat percentage.

So they don't lie about the results!
DianeR

Postby serenity » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:43 pm

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to have to buy this soon.

12/2/07 This just in: Just ordered a set from eBay. Woo hoo.
serenity

Return to Exercise and Fitness