Any studies comparing high protein diets for weight gain?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Any studies comparing high protein diets for weight gain?

Postby ausvegguykk » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:48 pm

So yeah, here's what i want to know

i'm into fitness/muscles, all that sort of thing and i've been more or less following a starch based diet for the past 7 years (strangely enough, mostly just because that's what i wanted to eat, not based on any medical opinion) and also havent had any animal products in that time (and about 7 years prior to that of not consuming meat, eggs, fish, or straight dairy products... would eat cheese or things with animal products in them such as say, a curry with cream in it)
anyway, i'm 23 now, and been in and out of weight lifting for a few years now, i have experimented with following a high protein diet, but it's just really not pleasant, not that cheap, and the only way to follow it is using isolated protein from peas, rice, or soy... never really managed to follow that for more than a month at a time

anyway, i have seen some good strength gains following a starch based... more or less low fat diet (i used to eat some overt fats, not too much, but i have cut them out almost totally since reading about the health effects of using them) and i want to know... are there any objective studies comparing some variable like... strength gain or endurance on a high carb diet vs a high protein diet over time?

with the protein dogma so saturating information on the subject, it would seem there would have to be some science on it?
i would so like to have a graph, or a study i could read, and refer to showing the effects of a protein/carb rich diet on muscle development over time... does anything like this exist at all? broscience isnt worth a whole lot i think lol

what do you guys think?
ausvegguykk

Re: Any studies comparing high protein diets for weight gain

Postby Gershon » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:38 am

Yes, it does but I don't have an exact reference for you.

If you search for "Dr. McDougall advanced study" on YouTube and then filter by channel, you will find a series of 12 videos. I suggest watching all of them.

Basically, excess protein causes many physical problems. When it does cause growth, it also promotes cancer growth.

Hope this helps, and maybe someone can give a better reference.
Gershon

Return to Exercise and Fitness