Great Books Thread

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Great Books Thread

Postby vgpedlr » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:38 am

Skip wrote:Besides Rich Roll, are there any great plant based/ endurance expert authors?

What kind of book are you looking for?

Rich Roll hasn't raced in years, Scott Jurek has one book, but impressive athletic palmares, though not racing much any more. Both books are memoirs, with a little extra. Jurek includes some great recipes, and Roll includes an appendix on WFPB eating.

Brendan Brazier has written numerous how to books covering his views on nutrition, training, and cooking. He is a former pro ultra runner and Ironman triathlete.

Matt Frazier of No Meat Athlete has a how to book.

That's what I'm aware of. My experience is that paleo has got quite a stranglehold on sports nutrition.
vgpedlr

Postby Gershon » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:25 pm

Scott Jurek set the record for the Appalachian Trail this summer averaging over 48 miles a day. He beat Jennifer Pharr-Davis's record by about three hours.
Gershon

Postby Skip » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:26 pm

vgpedlr wrote:My experience is that paleo has got quite a stranglehold on sports nutrition.

That's what bothers me. I suppose if you train hard enough, and can adapt to any diet that you like, then it will work for you (in the short run). The much harder thing to see is the long term affects of any diet over many years...this is where I believe plant based wins the race...
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby Drew_ab » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:55 pm

Born to Run.
Drew_ab

Postby petero » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:04 am

Gershon wrote:Scott Jurek set the record for the Appalachian Trail this summer averaging over 48 miles a day. He beat Jennifer Pharr-Davis's record by about three hours.

That was amazing, definitely his "masterpiece" like he wanted. I would look up how long it took him to do the sections I've done, but I don't want to cry myself to sleep... :lol:
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Joe Friel's Fast After 50

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:47 pm

I read and re-read Friel's Training Bible books for years. When it come to heart rate training, he's one of the best, and if you're a cyclist with $$, his work with power meters is just as good. But when Fast After 50 came out, I gave it a pass. I already know his training method, and it clashes with Maffetone, which is my preferred way. Plus, I'm not in that age group anyway. But I heard a great review from a friend who competes in the 60-65 AG, and who successfully used Friel's methods to self-coach him to the XTERRA World's for his AG. I listened to a few podcasts with Friel, and it sounded intriguing, so I added it to my holiday reading.

http://trailrunnernation.com/2015/07/faster-after-50-with-joefriel
http://www.nourishbalancethrive.com/podcasts/nourish-balance-thrive/joe-friel-world-class-coach-elite-athletes/
http://www.enduranceplanet.com/week-of-kona-joe-friel-your-training-bible-and-the-secret-to-ironman-success/

Thoughts:

This book is definitely different from the others because of its narrower focus on aging. It also has much more of a personal story to it, since Friel just turned 70. He has also coached a zillion athletes, including many masters. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of research on aging athletes. Exercise science is pretty young anyway, and it's only recently that were any aging athletes to study. So, a lot of what we know about aging is based on a sedentary population and so will be different for athletes. So Friel dug into the research to see what was available, combined it with his own decades of experience as an athlete and a coach. It's all definitely a work in progress, because there are no definitive answers. That's what makes this so exciting.

So the book lays out what research shows, as closely applicable as possible to athletes and explains the limitations. It's much more of a discussion than a prescription, though he does give his best guesses.

He identifies three factors for an aging athlete:

Decreased aerobic capacity
Decreased muscle mass and strength
Increased body fat

These are the factors that aging causes, and athletes are no exception, though compared to the average Joe, they will still be way ahead.

To fit these issues he suggests:

"High" intensity interval training (high here is relative, and specific to his method)
Year round strength training, planty of it intense
Strict diet (high fat paleo for him)

He believes aging athletes slow down because they start training slower all the time. As for intensity, it's not necessarily as hard as you might think, and not as much as you might think. It sounds very similar to 80/20 training, as another aging concern is recovery. He interviewed Ned Overhand, one of the legendary pioneers of MTB racing and still very active and fast, who explained he still the same training he always has, it just takes him longer to do it.

The good news is, according to his research and experience, a lot of fitness and speed can be maintained until age 70, when there is an inevitable drop.

A good read, with a lot to think about. The whole idea of aging athletes is fascinating, and with baby boomers that started a lot of it getting older, there will be lots more to learn.

Anybody else read it and have thoughts?
vgpedlr

Postby Skip » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:10 pm

They say you can't out exercise a bad diet and for me the best advice you could give an aging athlete, like myself, is to ditch the Paleo stuff and go plant based....I think Paleo is more for the younsters....all his other recommendations sound good...
Skip

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:31 pm

Skip wrote:They say you can't out exercise a bad diet and for me the best advice you could give an aging athlete, like myself, is to ditch the Paleo stuff and go plant based....I think Paleo is more for the younsters....all his other recommendations sound good...

He doesn't include much dietary prescription in this book, instead he describes the two approaches as high or low carb as mutually exclusive. You can't mix them. But he gives examples of how to use both approaches. He personally has eaten paleo for 20+ yrs, from age 50-70. He describes his personal success with it, as well as Noakes. He explains his approach in more detail in the Training Bibles, and in the nutrition book he co-authored with Cordain. I tried it over 10 yrs ago and failed. But I've heard him in interviews describe the success he has had with paleo for his coaching clients.

It's a good read, and the narrow focus on aging is going to become even more interesting as time goes on.
vgpedlr

Postby Skip » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:38 pm

vgpedlr wrote: He personally has eaten paleo for 20+ yrs, from age 50-70. He describes his personal success with it, as well as Noakes.

He is an N = 1 (or make that 2 with Noakes). But to advise his diet to everyone, he's got to back it up with some science which he can't do.
Skip

Postby geo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:37 pm

@Vegpdlr

I think the best book on exercise for the aging is: Bending the Aging Curve, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/073607 ... 1_1&sr=8-1

Its the most thorough book I've read on exercise and its effects on aging. It covers not just aerobic and anaerobic exercises, but power, balance, agility, flexability, periodization, etc....

It is written and primarily used as a text book, especially for exercise professionals/trainers, so its a bit on the expensive side ~$50, but includes a DVD as well on how the exercises should be performed. Its a great read and very well referenced on studies.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby Skip » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:03 am

I picked up a used copy of Dave Scott's Triathlon Training book written in 1986 for about $4:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067160 ... 1_1&sr=8-1

For those who don't know, Dave Scott was the 5 time Ironman World Champion and he had that famous race against Mark Allen which a book described on this thread has been written about. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193403 ... 1_2&sr=8-2

What 's amazing about the book is that it is still very relevant for today. Dave Scott's take on nutrition back in 1986 is very much in line with the plant based diet espoused by Dr. McDougall (there are some minor deviations, but this was written in 1986). He says that the optimum performance diet is above 70% carbohydrates and quotes from sources like Nathan Pritikin.

You can listen to Dave at his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/davescottinc
Skip

Postby Skip » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:39 am

vgpedlr wrote: My experience is that paleo has got quite a stranglehold on sports nutrition.

I know a few people who are into MMA style fighting and I must agree with your statement for that crowd. It seems like the high intensity type sports/activities emphasize more of the paleo. This is "the younger crowd". However, seems like as one gets older and sicker from paleo, philosophies begin to change more to the plant based style.
Skip

Postby sharonbikes » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:41 pm

I am not a runner - although I have longed to be one since I was in high school - I am just not built for running. What I like to call my Viking heritage makes be better suited for other sports! Biking is my first love - but, I know no books. Total Immersion Swimming helped my swimming a lot - my Viking body is well built for swimming! Eat and Run is a favorite of mine. it, along with recommendations from this forum, led me to Xero Shoes which are my favorite shoes of all time. I walk a lot - getting into backpacking now - and these are the best shoes EVER! (http://www.xeroshoes.com).

This spring I am experimenting with the Maffetone method for my biking and swimming and my run/walking I do - I run to get my heart rate up or until my shins start to hurt and then walk.

For folks who are looking for some good quick ways to incorporate exercise - Lani Muelrath's book Fit Quickies is good. I understand Ellen Jaffe Jones is coming out with a book about exercise this fall.

I am also a fan of the No Meat Athlete.

Books are great - but, if one needs help with skills, nothing is better than a live person as a coach. I hired a swim coach who helped me with my swim stroke far more than any book. When I decided to do a triathlon, I hired a running coach to help me get so I could run most of the 5k of a sprint tri. I take yoga (which I think everyone should do!) and again, a live teacher is the best way to go.

And, now, it it time for me to go out and ride my bike!
sharonbikes

Postby Dougalling » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:04 am

November Project ... The Book
Inside the free grassroots fitness movement that's taking over the world.

Brogan Graham & Bojan Mandaric with Caleb Daniloff

This book is for the couch potato to the olympic and professional athlete.
It inspires and pushes everyone to become a better athlete.
Dougalling

Previous

Return to Exercise and Fitness