Not sure if I'm eating enough/correctly for running

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Not sure if I'm eating enough/correctly for running

Postby rooney » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:35 pm

I run about 55-60 miles per week and lift weights 2x a week. I started eating this way as a means to help some GI issues, as well as eczema.

Here's an example of my pre-McDougall diet:

Pre-run: Banana
Post-run: Banana, oatmeal with almond butter, berries, almond milk, black coffee
Lunch: Salad with beans
Snacks: Nuts with an apple; more fruit
Dinner: Potato or rice with vegetables, beans

What I'm eating now:

Pre-run: Banana
Post-run: Banana, oatmeal, berries, chia seeds, almond milk, black coffee
Lunch: Rice, tortilla, or potato with vegetables, beans
Snacks: Fruit or vegetables
Dinner: Same as above

I wasn't consuming much oil before, but I have basically eliminated it now. I have only been eating this way for a couple of days, but I've been getting headaches and feeling much more hungry than usual. I think it may be from eliminating the nuts, which made me feel more satiated. Now, I'm a young person (21 years old) without heart issues or diabetes. I am by no means overweight, but I would like to lose some body fat. Should I keep the nuts in my diet? Or, are there alternatives that will keep me just as satiated with the high amount of exercise I do?
Last edited by rooney on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rooney

Re: Not sure if I'm eating enough/correctly for running

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:42 pm

The ingredients look fine, but you might not be eating enough. If you adjust calorie density, you made need to adjust volume. Eat to satiety. If hungry, eat more. You can also run a days's with of eating through cronometer and see exactly what you're getting.
vgpedlr

Return to Exercise and Fitness