Why LCHF is Gaining Popularity

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Why LCHF is Gaining Popularity

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:25 pm

One of the principles of sport science is that carbohydrate is necessary for athletes, especially endurance athletes. When glycogen stores are depleted, we "bonk" and it's game over. LCHF promoter and researcher Jeff Volek shows that's not likely to be true. His FASTER study is published, and available online for free. It's an interesting read, except for a part about metabolic pathways I'm not familiar with.

While it does show some interesting differences between LC and HC athletes, it doesn't answer the questions of which will lead to better performances, or better long term health. Volek, Noakes, and Friel believe from personal and professional experience LCHF is better for body composition, and speculate it's better for the long term

http://www.metabolismjournal.com/article/S0026-0495(15)00334-0/fulltext

I've mentioned this before, now it's out for anyone to peruse. See what you think.
Last edited by vgpedlr on Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
vgpedlr

Re: Why LCHF is Gaining Popularity

Postby Skip » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:58 am

From my brief scanning, it appears that the aerobic capacity of an athlete will not increase when comparing a low fat to a high fat diet. So what is the advantage of consuming a high fat diet? Given that a plant based, whole food diet (low fat diet) will prevent our most dangerous chronic diseases, why would anyone consider these ketogenic diets?
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby runonstarch » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:16 am

Interesting that the high carb group's diet was 59% carbohydrate versus the higher number (75%) seen with elite African marathoners.

The focus in the study on ultra distance athletes is interesting as this will be pushed as a diet for endurance athletes doing shorter events.

Still waiting for a low-carber to beat a high carbed African in a marathon.... heck I'd even like to see a high-carber even qualify for the Olympic Trials marathon. I'll get used to the sounds of crickets.
runonstarch

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:26 am

Skip wrote:From my brief scanning, it appears that the aerobic capacity of an athlete will not increase when comparing a low fat to a high fat diet.

If you read the study, you will see that wasn't the point. The athletes were matched as closely as possible. The researchers wanted to show what metabolic differences there were between low and high carb athletes. So the study subjects were matched by age, experience, and ability. So you wouldn't see much difference. Volek was trying to control for that. To show superiority of one diet, you would have to do a cross over or cross sectional study, where the same subjects ate both diets and are tested.

So what is the advantage of consuming a high fat diet?

From what I've read, it's the drastically reduced need to eat, especially during an endurance event. Less chance for something to go wrong.
Given that a plant based, whole food diet (low fat diet) will prevent our most dangerous chronic diseases, why would anyone consider these ketogenic diets?

I agree, but plenty of folks believe a ketogenic diet has great potential for long term health. I don't know why, but that wasn't the point of this study anyway.
vgpedlr

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:42 am

runonstarch wrote:Interesting that the high carb group's diet was 59% carbohydrate versus the higher number (75%) seen with elite African marathoners.

The HC group represents the traditional sports nutrition advice here, not the traditional Kenyan diet. Volek did that intentionally. I don't know what difference 15% in carb intake would make.

The focus in the study on ultra distance athletes is interesting as this will be pushed as a diet for endurance athletes doing shorter events.

Exactly. This study was designed to answer questions about whether it was truly necessary to rely on carbs during exercise, as previously thought.

Still waiting for a low-carber to beat a high carbed African in a marathon.... heck I'd even like to see a high-carber even qualify for the Olympic Trials marathon. I'll get used to the sounds of crickets.

You mean a high fatter qualify?

Two hours isn't long enough to matter for diet choice. What this study indicates is that whether or not you see a LC marathoner of that level soon or not, it is likely possible, if someone wanted to go that route. Since the traditional advice is "high" carb, it won't happen any time soon. The law of averages makes it unlikely. I think someone would have to make the decision early on in one's career to eat LC, rather than switch later on.

Study participants Ben Greenfield, Zach Bitter, Mike Wardian, and Volek himself have discussed the study experience on podcasts.
vgpedlr

Postby runonstarch » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:19 pm

vgpedlr wrote:You mean a high fatter qualify?

Two hours isn't long enough to matter for diet choice. What this study indicates is that whether or not you see a LC marathoner of that level soon or not, it is likely possible, if someone wanted to go that route. Since the traditional advice is "high" carb, it won't happen any time soon. The law of averages makes it unlikely. I think someone would have to make the decision early on in one's career to eat LC, rather than switch later on.

Study participants Ben Greenfield, Zach Bitter, Mike Wardian, and Volek himself have discussed the study experience on podcasts.

Sorry, I meant high fatter. You say a low-carber elite marathoner is "likely possible" and I just don't buy it. Wardian is the elite marathoner mentioned and he is a high-carber and his resume blows away any low-carb ultra-runner. Besides Bitter who does well on the track (There is some that dispute Olsen's WS100 win being low-carb) there are very few low-carbers winning competitive ultra's worldwide, even with the supposed benefits of eating less calories during racing.

You certainly pay more attention to that side of the aisle but I believe in seeing results before I believe the hype, especially when the overwhelming evidence supports whole plant foods as the healthiest foods to eat. I feel the same way about claims about eating low-carb for endurance as those claiming eating higher fat is heart healthy.

Of course that doesn't even get into the sustainability of promoting a meat heavy diet or the environmental consequences. I agree with Michael Arnstein that even if the diet gave one benefits he wouldn't switch because it is neither moral or sustainable.
runonstarch

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:31 pm

runonstarch wrote: You say a low-carber elite marathoner is "likely possible" and I just don't buy it.

Based on Volek's work in this study and previous work with elite cyclists, yes, I think it's possible. I think someone can eat that way and train appropriately, eventually leading to a world class performance. I don't know that it will ever happen, but I think it could.

That those performances have not yet occurred does preclude them from ever happening in the future. There aren't that many people eating LC and doing the necessary training, so there's not a big pool to draw from. Elite athletes are often very conservative, unwilling to risk any big change, especially in diet, and rightly so. But if LC diets continue to gain in popularity, I don't see why an elite level performance would be impossible.

I'm not advocating for any diet focused on performance that ignores health. I think the LC athletes will lose out with their long term health. But in the short term, Volek is showing our understanding of exercise physiology has been incomplete. And with influential proponents like Noakes and Friel on board, it can be very attractive.

Ten years ago I tried Friel's version of paleo, which failed. I forgot all about it until the paleoshere blew up a couple years ago. Friel has been at it for 20 yrs, I don't understand how.
vgpedlr

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:32 pm

Interesting discussion on LC training and racing by UK doctor and pro triathlete, Tamsin Lewis. She discusses the difficulties and risks of LC/Keto such that LC cheerleader and host Tawnee Prazak had to backpedal a bit.

http://www.enduranceplanet.com/dr-tamsin-lewis-dangers-of-ketogenic-and-low-carb-diets-and-why-females-are-higher-risk/

Makes me wonder why anyone would want to take that risk.
vgpedlr

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:57 pm

runonstarch wrote:Of course that doesn't even get into the sustainability of promoting a meat heavy diet or the environmental consequences. I agree with Michael Arnstein that even if the diet gave one benefits he wouldn't switch because it is neither moral or sustainable.

I have friend who has been eating extreme of low carb/high fat for several years now. She does eat meat but about 9 cups veg per day and a LOT of fat, about 80'% of calories I think she mentioned 2 cups, some from animals, but also from nut and seed oils. She and husband raise all their own animals and plant foods on their small farm. I can only dream about her energy level, extreme skier and mtn bike rider and recreational surfer (depending on season).

http://www.alisongannett.com/about-alison-gannett/
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Skip » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:58 am

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
runonstarch wrote:Of course that doesn't even get into the sustainability of promoting a meat heavy diet or the environmental consequences. I agree with Michael Arnstein that even if the diet gave one benefits he wouldn't switch because it is neither moral or sustainable.

I have friend who has been eating extreme of low carb/high fat for several years now. She does eat meat but about 9 cups veg per day and a LOT of fat, about 80'% of calories I think she mentioned 2 cups, some from animals, but also from nut and seed oils. She and husband raise all their own animals and plant foods on their small farm. I can only dream about her energy level, extreme skier and mtn bike rider and recreational surfer (depending on season).

http://www.alisongannett.com/about-alison-gannett/

If she was my friend, I would buy her the China Study because according to her website she has/had cancer:

"Her latest new quest is to cooking to conquer cancer and improving her athletic career with their own FARM-acy. In July 2013 a deadly baseball-sized tumor was surprisingly discovered. After an initial surgery to take out the behemoth, Alison has forgone traditional approaches and instead has used food and a ketogenic diet to starve the remaining cancer. Intense blood work every month and DNA analysis have helped prove that her local paleo-ketogenic diet is working."
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:43 pm

Skip wrote:If she was my friend, I would buy her the China Study because according to her website she has/had cancer:

"Her latest new quest is to cooking to conquer cancer and improving her athletic career with their own FARM-acy. In July 2013 a deadly baseball-sized tumor was surprisingly discovered. After an initial surgery to take out the behemoth, Alison has forgone traditional approaches and instead has used food and a ketogenic diet to starve the remaining cancer. Intense blood work every month and DNA analysis have helped prove that her local paleo-ketogenic diet is working."

She knows about China Study and all the arguments. Her point is that China Study is about prevention not treatment of existing cancer which is what she needs/is after.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:00 pm

Skip wrote:..."
Alison has forgone traditional approaches and instead has used food and a ketogenic diet to starve the remaining cancer. Intense blood work every month and DNA analysis have helped prove that her local paleo-ketogenic diet is working."

It doesn't prove anything. What has happened is "spontaneous remission," which Dr. McDougall explains in his cancer talks happens more often than people think. That's why he doesn't recommend much screening, or aggressive treatment. Nor does he make any claims about this diet curing cancer. The keto approach definitely has its proponents, but cancer reversal is anecdotal at best, and it seems everyone, including the coffee enema gang, want to oversell their method.
vgpedlr

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:10 pm

vgpedlr wrote:It doesn't prove anything. What has happened is "spontaneous remission,"

Of course it proves nothing, it is just something someone said. Its being spontaneous remission is not proven either. All we can really say is that her cancer has not returned since her surgery (so far). We really do not know why that is the case.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Ltldogg » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:41 pm

I always get a chuckle when I hear "spontaneous remission" because there is no such thing, only the inability to correctly identify the processes happening in this event. Something tangible and scientific is occurring.
Ltldogg

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:26 pm

Ltldogg wrote:I always get a chuckle when I hear "spontaneous remission" because there is no such thing, only the inability to correctly identify the processes happening in this event. Something tangible and scientific is occurring.

Like "essential" hypertension meaning no known cause. It just happens, like magic. Black magic.
vgpedlr

Next

Return to Exercise and Fitness