High Exercise, High Sodium, High Fat?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

High Exercise, High Sodium, High Fat?

Postby petero » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:46 am

I was wondering if anybody eats a normal to high sodium diet and has managed to reduce their blood pressure through exercise alone?The same with higher fat diets and blood lipids. I realize Greger says that nuts don't raise cholesterol but I'm looking for actual experiments of 1 to make me feel better about my upcoming choices. :D

The reason I ask is that I'm planning an upcoming long-distance hike and will not be hitchhiking (sticking to "self-supported" conventions), so that'll limit my resupply options and I'll probably be eating nuts and salt.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Re: High Exercise, High Sodium, High Fat?

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:45 am

I think you should be OK. Unless you have really high blood pressure already, I wouldn't worry about the salt since your body can excrete it quote readily via urine and sweat. So if you're hydrated no sweating every day you should be good. As for the fat, as long as you're in energy balance you should be good there too. It's the overall diet over time that matters, so unless you're hiking until the end of the year . . .
vgpedlr

Postby petero » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:18 am

Yeah, I suppose I shouldn't worry too much about it. Sacrifices must be made. I'm expecting 90-100 days and adding 1000 calories of nuts a day would be helpful to keep weight down, and since I'm considering going stoveless I think there are going to be lots of pretzels eaten.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby petero » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:34 am

It's not like I don't occasionally eat salty food, but the past couple of weeks I've had a mouth infection that caused me to eat a lot of commercial soft bread, and when I went in to the clinic my BP was 156/something, and I had to explain that I'm not usually a candidate for BP medication. I suppose that could have been from anything, like the infection, but even at the dentist I usually test 120/80 if not below, so I think that conclusively rules out white-coat hypertension. :lol: OTOH I haven't been putting in the exercise, so hopefully things will balance out.
petero

Return to Exercise and Fitness