Has anyone tried those protein powders and found...?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Has anyone tried those protein powders and found...?

Postby petero » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:55 pm

...any problem or symptoms related to low blood sugar?

I would think that the insulin response from an amino acid bomb like Vega would deplete you of carbohydrates, unless you also consumed some easy-to-assimilate carbs like glucose or maltodextrin at the same time. This would make it very undesirable for anyone who needed to do anything besides go into a comatose sleep for several hours. You'd get stuck in a cycle of unnatural food consumption.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Re: Has anyone tried those protein powders and found...?

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:19 pm

No.

I've never noticed anything like this, even when I used to use whey protein to "recover" from gym workouts.
vgpedlr

Postby petero » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks. This Sunday I felt like I almost bonked walking to the Subway and yesterday I couldn't really get energized to do anything, and not just because I had wanted to do my taxes. Maybe I haven't been eating enough, but my scale hasn't budged in the last couple of weeks (+1 lb. maybe) and I haven't really been doing big miles, so I was wondering if these protein powders could have some glycemic effect. (I really could drop a lot of weight so I'd hate to eat more than I already am.)
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby petero » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:40 am

Hah! I figured it out. Yesterday I stopped taking glucosamine, and no more symptoms. I accidentally bought a non-vegan one that came up in Amazon search results but didn't want to waste it.
petero

Return to Exercise and Fitness