Muscle vs. Fat...Toss out the scale!

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Muscle vs. Fat...Toss out the scale!

Postby Atheria » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:07 pm

My sister just sent me this, and I have to admit...as someone who IS scale obsessed...these photos are amazing!

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/tips-p ... ust-number

Muscle weight vs. fat weight is SO much different. The only thing is, this would require major weight training that I just don't have the patience for. I like my yoga that can be done at home.

Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Re: Muscle vs. Fat...Toss out the scale!

Postby roundcoconut » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:15 pm

I think this woman may be living in some alternate reality!

Weight and mass have always reflected one another, in all of my time here on earth, whether i've engaged in athletic pursuits or not.

That pic on the far right which is labelled 140 pounds, does not look anything like any 140-pound human i have ever seen. I would totally call bullshit on her! I don't think that is even close to being truthful.

If I had to guess her weight, I would say she's running about 105.

I look a little thicker than her, and i too probably have developed some underlying leg muscles and torso muscles (from running). I weighed 101 when I stepped on the scale last, which was three or four days ago. So the idea that that girl weighs 140 is not something i see as believable.

I'm curious whether anyone else thought that was bullcrap? There are a LOT of lies and fables that get circulated around the internet! I think this might be one of them.

Atheria, this is a fascinating post though! It is my wake-up call, like, "Here's what Americans are posting to each other and sending one another." So maybe this is why no one really wants to eat calorie dilute fruits and vegetables, if we can all look like supermodels at 140!

There is a different post, by an ultra endurance runner, who posts pics of herself at the high end of her range (134) and at the low end (127). I think her stated weights match up with the pics. The post is here:

http://www.therunnerstrip.com/2016/12/sports-nutrition/
roundcoconut

Postby Atheria » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:19 pm

I don't know her height, but it is possible. I've known people who weight 25 lbs. more than I ever would have guessed due to being all muscle.

:-)
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
Atheria

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:02 am

Not only is muscle tissue denser and heavier than fat tissue, it takes up less space. So yes, you can get skinnier and heavier at the same time if you increase lean muscle mass and decrease body fat.
vgpedlr

Postby roundcoconut » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:46 am

I think this is a good example of clickbait! Y'know how you sometimes see "articles" advertised that say, "You'll never BELIEVE what this woman looks like after 6 months of weight training!" -- I think that's what this is.

The bogus part about the pic on the right, is that that woman is probably wearing a size 0 in jeans. Even 140 pounds of muscle is going to occupy SPACE -- even the biggest athlete will need to put 140 pounds of flesh into a size 4 or size 6 jeans. 5 pounds of muscle also has some amount of MASS, even if that is 70% less mass than a corresponding amount of body fat. I am not seeing that! Nothing has negative mass, not even muscle. The woman in the pic does not have a particularly large amount of muscle mass.

Well, it is not worth worrying, if people in the mainstream want to hand around articles like this! But i think it would lead people astray to believe you can hold delicate proportions and wear a size 0, by gaining 20 pounds. Modern myths and fables, if you ask me! :)
roundcoconut

Postby Atheria » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:53 am

She mentioned she went up 2 sizes. I'm a 0 or 00 and she looks bigger than me.
~ ATHERIA ~
Atheria

Postby greentea » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:41 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna have to say that I think the truth has been stretched quite a bit here. I'm basing it on my own weight loss/strength training, but still. There is no way she is almost 20 pounds heavier in the last pic, even given that muscle weights more than fat,no way, I don't buy it.
greentea

Return to Exercise and Fitness