building muscle

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

building muscle

Postby JWalker » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:35 am

I want to build muscle. I work out in the late evening and get home in time for bed. Should I just go to bed, or should I eat to help rebuild muscles? Chef AJ says to eat 5 hours before bed, but I cannot really eat a meal before I work out. I hear experts saying to eat after exercise, but I know it can't be good to go to bed on a full stomach. Any suggestions?
JWalker

Re: building muscle

Postby canadamike » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:39 pm

Usually when I play hockey, it's late at night. Games start around 10 PM, so I don't get home afterwards until 1145 or so. I still make sure I eat something though before going to bed. Not like I can sleep right away anyways :)

I would say experiment with eating after your workout and see how you feel.

Then try awhile where you just go to bed.
canadamike

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:04 pm

I'm with canadamike here, you have to try different approaches and see what works best for you. Chef AJ has a different goal than you. She has had difficulty losing weight and maintaining it, so her approach has been dialed to eliminate trigger foods, keep calorie density low, and keep a low BMI. That is the opposite of what you're trying to do. In the end, do the best you can with the schedule you have.
vgpedlr

Postby JWalker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:20 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try your experimenting idea. I'm guessing that is what Dr. Doug Lisle would say to do. Sometimes I just want someone to tell me what is best. I guess "what is best" may not be so cut and dry.
JWalker

Return to Exercise and Fitness