elementary recess- mandate it or trust teachers?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

elementary recess- mandate it or trust teachers?

Postby MikeInFL » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:57 am

Wow had no idea that it's not mandatory that elementary students get recess every day at school. A group of moms in FL are trying to get lawmakers to mandate 20 minutes of recess every day. They say kids should have free time to run around outside in the sunshine, and not be told how to do it. You learn social skills, it's healthy and relieves stress. But teachers and school leaders have mandated test guidelines and there is often no time for recess. And while some school districts ban using no-recess as punishment, there is no state law.

Some counties require recess at least twice a week. But the moms say it should be 20 minutes very day.

But FL house Speaker Richard Corcoran and Miami Rep. Michael Bileca, the education policy chairman, say teachers should keep the flexibility to withhold recess.

Corcoran, R-Land O’Lakes, said in a statement. “They should have all the tools necessary to do their jobs effectively, and I trust them to balance the need for activity with achieving educational excellence for every child.”

Trust teachers how much a child needs for activity? I say that's a joke when teachers are under demands to reach test score guidelines. I say moms are right on this one- mandate 20 minutes of free recess time daily. And some standing up time at their desk too, at least 5 minutes, once an hour.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politic ... rylink=cpy
MikeInFL

Return to Exercise and Fitness