Considering vegan protein supplementation

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Considering vegan protein supplementation

Postby Steve » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:14 am

Hi. I am a long time McDougaller with a short term challenge. Sorry for the long post! I understand that the diet pproposed by Dr. McDougall has all the protein and calcium needed for the human diet. Protein are in starches and even more concentrated in legumes or beans and such. That the potato has the full range of essential amino acids but we also get what we need by combining beans and rice. I guess we get calcium from everything grown in the ground with maybe higher conentration in kale? Ok, but here is my issue. I just went through a major foot reconstruction operation. I must not stand on that foot for 3 months. I have a halo device on my foot to keep me honest and it is huge, heavy with 5 steel pins attaching it to my foot ankle and leg. Like these pins go right through me! Sorry about the word picture I painted. So I am limited in movement to Crutches. Did not really understand the halo device going in but made several weeks of food that I could eat from after surgery. I made a 4x vegetable chili recipe with rice and froze most of it. I also made a giant stir fry with firm Toufu . And lots of boiled gold and red potatoes! The wound care nurses are suggesting increased protein to help speed growing the tissue needed. Bones have to fuse, metal parts need to be covered with skin and so forth . So I cannot easily shop or cook, restaurants are out. I was thinking of supplementing with vegan protein powder . Does anyone have a recommendation? Maybe some of you will say it is not a good idea in general. But does anyone have experience and a recommendation of a product or a class of products. Some are bean or pea and rice or hemp based . I am also very trim right now with a normal BMI. Any help or suggestions sought and appreciated. I think I saw that Geofery L is still active, but looking forward to any and all advice! Thank you all, Steve
Steve

Re: Considering vegan protein supplementation

Postby greentea » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:51 pm

Hey Steve, wow, what a drag to be in this situation. Well you already know that protein powders are not recommended on this plan, however I get from your situation, that it may be a convenient short term solution while you are recovering. If you really feel like you need some, I say go for it, it can't be fun trying to shop and put meals together when you have limited mobility. The only brand I've tried is Vega, chocolate, vanilla and mocha weren't bad, couldn't stomach strawberry. I only ever added a scoop to smoothies that I made with bananas, berries, oats and sometimes greens.
Do you have anyone to help you out at all? If you could get your hands on some tofu, pre-cooked grain, canned beans, frozen edamame, peas, seitan, bagged pre-washed greens, you could put together a super easy protein bowl. Heat up whatever you need to in the microwave and assemble. Is simple and will give you lots of protein and healthy calories which is most important.
greentea

Postby Steve » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:34 pm

Green tea, thanks! Perfect post. I have a wonderful daughter and son who can help. I made like a huge vegetable chili from Maximum Weight loss book. Four Beans! I saw good reviews on the brand you mentioned Chocolate and mocha deal online. Wanted to see a true independent, and you liked it, at least tastes good. I put the operation off over a year and waited for summer. Had to do it or stop walking. Got a secret weapon for anyone who needs to be off one foot but can otherwise walk OK. Because of Halo I have stuck with crutches and wheel chair. But I am just now carefully testing/adding Iwalkfree 2.0 Hands free crutch as a device to help. Used before. But this halo thing is scary. would recommend for lesser surgeries or sprained ankle/ broken foot. Second week is up Wednesday, then 10 more weeks. Well more than that, but I can start weight bearing at about 12 weeks. Thanks green tea!
Steve

Postby Willijan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Steve, Here is my experience in a somewhat comparable situation. I broke my hip 2 years ago in a fluke fall while dancing. I had to have pins inserted, then keep my weight off of it for 6 weeks. I could walk with a walker, but I could not put more than the weight of my foot on the ground.

After 6 weeks, I began walking immediately. The doctors thought I was doing exceptionally well. I was annoyed because I limped. Had physical therapy, where they had me do a few stretches, and very soon I no longer limped. Since then, I have continued to do well. Most people think I am amazing for my age and can't believe I am 68.

I have been on the McD diet since 2012. I eat beans and lentils, but not a lot, just when I am in the mood for them. I almost never eat tofu. I mainly eat oatmeal, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, some bread, corn tortillas, and fruits and vegetables. I take no supplements except B-12.

My surgeon told me to drink lots of milk, and I ignored that.

So based on my experience, and what Dr. McDougall says, I don't think I needed any extra protein. In fact, I think it would have been bad for me.

You have to remember, your nurse probably doesn't know anything like the truth about how to eat.
Willijan

Postby Steve » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Good job recovering. I am sure the McDougall recommendations helped.
Steve

Postby Steve » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Good job recovering. I am sure the McDougall recommendations helped.
Steve

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:13 pm

Good news! Found a vegan supplement that sounds great. And based on one of the boards suggestions. Based on peas and rice. Provides 24 grams of complete protein per serving. Has some enzymes that make it easy to absorb or something . My kidneys are fine. Only drawback is 340 mg sodium, but otherwise I am on extremely low sodium. Mostly eat veggies and potatoes. With no added salt. As you can see from my initial post I am dealing with some extreme challenges. Dr McDougall is right telling us to avoid supplementation. But there comes a time when circumstances are unique. Could be vanity on my part. Just trying to maintain some muscle until I can walk again. If I does not help, well I tried. If anything goes wrong I will stop. Or maybe take half a dose? Well I hope it is helpful or at least not harmful. Steve
Steve

Return to Exercise and Fitness