Maintaining Strength

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Maintaining Strength

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:19 am

I did lot of strength training in the gym through the winter. I made good progress, had fun, and definitely improved my MTB. Even a coach noticed. (those routines are posted in older threads)

But for several months it's been all about the bike. I didn't want to lose all my strength, but my time, energy, and recovery has to be focused on the bike. What to do? Fortunately, it doesn't take much to maintain what you've got. Research on runners showed that a very basic, low volume, low intensity strength workout done ONCE a week will maintain most of your strength as long as you keep it up. Good news!

But traveling kept me out of the gym, so I let my membership get put on hold. I liked the "little and often, over the long haul" approach for strength epitomized by Dan John's Easy Strength, so I looked for a variation I could do with a kettlebell and bodyweight, and found:

The Dan Martin Program Minimum, or Humane Burpee. http://danjohn.net/2017/03/humane-burpee/

10-15 swings
Pushup
Goblet Squat
Row

Descend the pushup, goblet squat, and row each set, 5-4-3-2-1. Total of 50-75 swings, 15 reps of the push, squat, and row.

I finish with some loaded carries, some combo of waiter's walks, rack carries, and suitcase carries. Then two runs through my core circuit consisting of some planks and bridges.

Altogether, 10-20 minutes in the park, depending on how much loaded carry work I do. I go a bit easier on MTB days, due to the trail's pounding, and a bit harder on road days. I can do this every day if I want, or less if I'm beat up from MTB.

You don't have to beat yourself all the time. You can enjoy good fitness by doing a little bit, keeping it fun, and making it repeatable day after day.

Bonus Workout:

I sometimes do "Slurpees": Same as above, but delete the rows and do 10 mountain climbers each set instead of the pushups.
vgpedlr

Return to Exercise and Fitness