Weight training and more protein

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Sunny » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:29 pm

I just recently started weight training and have not changed the way I eat.
Most SAD eating trainers will tell you protein,protein,protein~~~ I just give them a big grin :D. They are refering to animal proteins which I do not believe are any different than plant based proteins when it comes to building muscle. I do not think you need more than the required 15% of total calories per day even when building muscle. However you may be hungrier than normal and require more calories, depending on how much you burn. I still eat when I am hungry and I never eat immediately after my workout.
I hope this helps and others may have better or other info for you. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Re: Weight training and more protein

Postby Burgess » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:00 am

Warrior wrote:I can see my body changing and firming up. Love to see those muscles.

Congratulations on making that change happen. It is very clear to me that you are the kind of person who sets a goal and goes after it.

What isn't clear to me is exactly what your goal is. Is it to have huge muscles, or is it to be lean and fit and strong enough to do everything you need to do in your life? For example, I am 62 and I do a weight-machine exercise every day -- for instance, seated chest-press on Thursday. My goals are to work all the muscles, through the week, and acquire enough strength to do all my tasks, such as occasionally carry my 65 pound bicycle up stairs one floor. My muscles aren't big anymore but they are well defined and they do the job they are supposed to do.

If your muscles are already getting stronger and better defined, it sounds to me like you don't need to increase protein at all. Go for health: very low fat, high fiber, whole foods, with the basic amount supplied by the regular McDougall diet -- about 65 grams of protein. (Of course you need to eat a very wide variety of foods to make sure you get all the many different kinds of protein, but that should not be a problem with the McDougall approach.

About a year or two ago, Dr. McDougall wrote an article about protein for his newsletter. You might search for that in the newsletter archives, and study it closely. It is very helpful.
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Re: Weight training and more protein

Postby Burgess » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:11 am

Burgess wrote: ... the basic amount supplied by the regular McDougall diet -- about 65 grams of protein.

My understanding, from reading Dr. McDougall's newsletter article on protein is that most adults can do very well on 35 to 65 grams of protein per day.

My diet is on the low side -- probably about 45 grams per day or even less -- but that is because of my particular medical needs (http://www.aristotleadventure.com/anti-itis) that restrict my foods to fruit, vegs, roots and gourds, but generally no beans, grains, or nuts.

If you are doing a lot of heavy lifting, you might want to go to 75 grams a day -- but not the possibly toxic amounts (several hundred grams/day) that some bodybuilders consume. As you yourself suggested, simply adding a cup or two of beans daily would probably be plenty.

Again, be sure to read Dr. McDougall's newsletter article on protein.
Burgess

Jan. 2004 newsletter article on protein

Postby Burgess » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:40 am

"Protein Overload" is the article I had in mind: http://www.nealhendrickson.com/McDougall/040100.htm

The title indicates the danger of eating too much protein, long-term. However, the article talks also about what is required. Like fat, protein should not be consumed in quantities greater than what we need for long-term health.
Burgess

Postby minirunner » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:23 pm

It is interesting that so many trainers push protein because after a workout the body must have carbohydrates in order for any protein to enter the tissue. The body must also have carbohydrates in order to replenish glycogen stores.

Carbohydrates stimulate insulin production which is what allows glucose into the muscle cells, this is one component of healing and strengthening the muscle that nearly everyone overlooks. This insulin is what also allows fat and protein into the cells.

Our bodies reuse about 70% of our protein so we really do not need a lot of it. Protein is required for muscle building but carbohydrates are also needed, sometimes we miss the forest for the trees so to speak. We focus on protein and miss every other nutrient that is also necessary.

If you are eating a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, green leafy vegetables, grains, legumes etc... you will have all the protein you need. If you are still worried about it you can add hemp seed meal to a fruit smoothie in the morning that will give you an extra 14g of protein in about 1 or 2 Tb.

The body cannot store protein so any excess you consume becomes a burden on the liver and kidneys and must be excreted so you may want to be cautious in supplementing your diet with protein. When SAD people say eat protein just smile and then ignore it.

My husband and I are both very active, he's a triathlete, I ran a half marathon and did weight lifting and neither of us have had any problems over the years.

Have you ever heard of anyone being diagnosed with protein deficiency? No, there is not even a medical term for it, because it literally does not exist. Aside from severe starvation there is no such thing as deficiency of protein. It's a myth generally circulated by industries such as the meat, dairy, supplement and other industries. Most personal trainers, dieticians recieve all kinds of pamphlets, brochures on protein supplements etc... it's more to sell a product than about an actual deficiency.

Good luck with your weight training.
minirunner

Postby funcrunch » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:20 am

minirunner wrote:Have you ever heard of anyone being diagnosed with protein deficiency? No, there is not even a medical term for it, because it literally does not exist. Aside from severe starvation there is no such thing as deficiency of protein.

Actually I believe the condition kwarshiokor is a result of protein deficiency, but this too is really starvation due to calorie deficiency. With sufficient calories it would be extremely difficult to not get enough protein unless you were eating nothing but sugar, alcohol, etc.
funcrunch

Postby minirunner » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:38 pm

That is true, Kwashikor disease is technically considered protein deficiency but it is caused by a lack of calories or starvation so it really isn't technically an isolated case of protein deficiency because it doesn't occur without the extenuating circumstance of starvation. There are no reported cases of protein deficiency in individuals who have access to adequate food. Enjoy your McDougall diet and your increased energy levels, your on the right track to excellent health :-)
minirunner

Postby DianeR » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:26 pm

Dr. McDougall discusses the issue of more protein for athletes (unnecessary and counterproductive) specifically in the September '03 and March '06 newsletters. (I know the latter deals with endurance athletes specifically, but I thought it was worth mentioning.)
DianeR

Return to Exercise and Fitness