embarrassing elliptical question

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

embarrassing elliptical question

Postby Anne » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:20 pm

I'm hoping to buy myself an elliptical trainer for Christmas. I really want something for the winter months that I can do while watching TV as a break from exercise DVDs.

The embarrassing part: it will have to be a cheaper one, which means it will likely be less sturdy, and I'm still over 200 pounds. I've seen 200 lb. weight limits on some exercise machines...so does anyone here have experience with loading a cheap elliptical with a lot of weight?

I have an old Nordic Track that needs just a few repairs, but it looks like the elliptical would give a better workout. I just wore out the arm ropes. If you think I'd be better off reconditioning the old Track, chime in with that opinion, too!
Anne in the northcountry
Anne

Second hand equipment

Postby VeganMan » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:27 pm

My dad always told me only buy used exercise equipment, if you like it and it breaks down you can always get a new one. If you don't like it you're out $100-200 not $400-500. (Many second hand stores offer 1-2 month trails, if not ask them to and you can also negotiate price while you're at it.) Check out second hand excerise stores first to see what's out there.
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

Elliptical

Postby Mirrim » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:11 pm

We lucked out and found a nearly new one (still had the manual in plastic) at the local thrift store for $40. It does say it has a weight limit of 250, and I'm closer to 300. It seems pretty sturdy though. The one problem with an elliptical is that it seems hard on my knees. Something about the position. I can only do it for 5 or 10 minutes so far before my knees hurt too much.

My main exercise is on a recumbent bike that's easier on my knees and heel.
Mirrim

Postby KristaO » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:29 pm

Check out "Play it Again Sports" - they have new and used equipment and the staff is very helpful. We have these stores in Orlando, and I think they're in lots of other cities too. Good luck!
KristaO

Re: embarrassing elliptical question

Postby Purdy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:13 pm

Anne wrote:I'm hoping to buy myself an elliptical trainer for Christmas. I really want something for the winter months that I can do while watching TV as a break from exercise DVDs.

The embarrassing part: it will have to be a cheape

Embarrassing? The embarrassing thing would be to pay full price for a new one, only to find out someone in your area is selling a nearly unused one for less than 40% of the new price.

Very typical of this equipment, is for eager buyers to decide this time, they're really going to change their lifestyle. So they spend, say, $1,000 on some new machine. They then use it for, say, typical about 5 to 10 weeks.
The it sits and torments their mind for about the next 24 months until they realize they'er never gonna use it again and they need the space as well as the need to get rid of the evidence they actually ever planned to exercise.

So they try to sell this machine which still has 97% of its effective life left and they then find out they can't get even 50% of what they paid.
So they end up selling their perfect barely used machine for 40% or 30% or 20% or sometimes just give it away for free.

Depending on your area, and if you are willing to wait just a few weeks or so, you may come across a super-duper deal.
And DON'T forget to bargain them down if they're asking 40%.....
Suggest 25% sounds better. Have the cash ready and a way to haul it away.

OK........You are on Michigan right?
You probably have a Craigslist near your area

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/mi

Type in elliptical in the search

ann arbor (15486)
central michigan (329) new
detroit metro (72554)
flint (1589)
grand rapids (8860)
jackson (301) new
kalamazoo (1408)
lansing (2969)
northern michigan (1135)
saginaw-midland-baycity (953)
south bend / michiana (1705)
upper peninsula (644)

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area which has by far the largest Craigslist, I find 65 listings although some of them may be repeats. You've got to look daily to find the real bargains.....meaning nearly new, and about one third of the new price..... But hey, rarely will you find anything in this category that is truely used, such that most of its life is gone. NOPE, this is the one area in which MOST of the items are rarely used very much.
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions", and now you get to benefit from that fact.

Just for fun, go to
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/
and punch in elliptical......look at all the ads.....from $30 to $3,000

I see the first one for $500 ......orginal retail $2995
BTW, some of the best values are in machines a few years old. Remember, age of the machine is not that important, since very few of them have been used very much.
Lastly, DON'T ever pay 50% of the orginal price (the true orginal price, not some inflated MSRP)
Typical is....orgian MSRP list price......$1,495........real orginal price $995 on sale......Now, after its been used 20 times over the past 3 years, you pick it up for $250... (25% of what the buyer paid and only 16% of the orginal MSRP) Got it?
Remember, people almost always have a wildly over-inflated idea of the value of their machines in the used market.......so let them down gently to the reality.
Purdy

Yes, I'm thinking of watching and waiting

Postby Anne » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:38 am

A friend at work also mentioned that many people upgrade to a new exercise machine at Christmas and put the old one up for sale. I'm keeping an eye on my local Craigslist and paper equivalent, the Wheeler-Dealer.

I'm trying to decide which brands are acceptable for durability. Even at used prices, I want a reliable one. I've already decided that the cheap new ones aren't the way I want to go - I'll be looking for a used quality machine.

Thanks!
Anne in the northcountry
Anne

Postby Vegan4Life » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:48 pm

I got a free gazelle on freecycle.org

and love it....I have back and knee problems and this machine is the greatest...no pain at all.
Vegan4Life

I tried an eliptical today

Postby Mama Owl » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:52 pm

with my personal trainer but it really hurt my knees and shot my heart rate up to the max within 2 min. My knees still hurt from trying it. We decided to NOT do eliptical for some time yet. I think a recumbent bike would be great for at home..Im at 200lbs right now too...I don know what you mean about the weight limits. My dh and I discussed it and he prefered me to buy a membership because then I could start working out sooner and so we were not tripping over equipment. My original plan was a Recumbent bike, A treadmill, and a multipurpose Weight center....

I wanted to just workout and watch tv also! I wonder if It would have worked. LOL!

Anyway, just wanted to see if you had already been working out on an eliptical or not...cause it may not be the best choice to start with.

blessings,
Donna
Pray the Rosary for Peace and the End of Abortion!

http://www.dtovarspecialties.com

Catholic Homeschoolers Rule! LOL!
Mama Owl

doesn't sound too bad

Postby VeganMan » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:13 pm

Owl -

Doing the eliptical can both your knees and other joints/muscle when you first start, just as running can when you first start or any other exercise. I don't blame you for getting amembership for the reasons listed...the price was right for our gym membership.

Once you have built up some stregnth, I'd go back to the eliptical. I was in good shape when I first got on one and I too had fatigue in my knees, gluts, hamstrings, and quads in the first few minutes as well as breaking a sweat very fast. But now after only doing it twice a week for 3 weeks, it not painful at all, but I still get a good burn in my legs.
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

I have used them and like them

Postby Anne » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:22 am

Hi Mama Owl -
I really like the ellipticals and find them easy on my foot - I broke a little bone and bruised some tendons a few months ago dropping something on my foot, and it has made impact exercise uncomfortable. I'm sure time and less body weight will take care of that problem (it's healed nicely according to the ortho).

I can use the exercise rooms with ellipticals at the University where I work for a fee, so I have tried them out. The main reason I would prefer to work out at home is that I am away from home so much of the day that one more "away" activity has no appeal.

I find that I will work out at home, but I won't go to a gym. They do say to choose the exercise that you will do - and a gym just isn't it for me. I have a friend who works from home part-time and stays with her kids all day - she loves to go to the gym as a break. Whatever gets each of us moving is what we need to do, right?

Anyway, at the moment I can't spend the money, so I am starting to use exercise DVDs I already own again, selected for foot friendliness.
Anne in the northcountry
Anne

recumbent bike

Postby Mama Owl » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:52 am

Oh, btw, the reason I suggested a recumbent bike is that there is one available from Walmart for about 120.00 It doesn't seem to have any of the electronics..but for home use, I think it would be good. If your comfy on an eliptical, then of course go for it.

What home dvd's do you have. I only have a few.
Pilates basic
You, On a diet workout dvd,
walk away the Lbs...3 mile
and I have several more WWTP but on vhs.
Pray the Rosary for Peace and the End of Abortion!

http://www.dtovarspecialties.com

Catholic Homeschoolers Rule! LOL!
Mama Owl

Return to Exercise and Fitness