marathoners and half-marathoners

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

marathoners and half-marathoners

Postby fiddler3 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:24 pm

Last September I did a half marathon walk and I found that as the days counted down toward race day, I got lots of energy and support form the board (I think Marla, you walked the same day I did!).

I am getting ready for another half marathon walk, this time in Apache Junction AZ, over Presidents' Day weekend. I am not as settled into my training as I was last time, mostly because it is cold and dark in the morning, but I am getting there.

Who else is preparing for a race?

fiddler3
fiddler3

Postby minirunner » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm

I ran a half marathon in August. I am still suffering from shin pain and IT band syndrome so I haven't been running but I plan on training in January and I will be running a 10K and 10 mile race in the summer.
minirunner

Postby zeuxia » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:48 pm

I just ran my first half-marathon in September, and I plan to run another one in May before my wedding. It's very motivating to have a goal like a half-marathon to shoot for! Good luck on your upcoming race.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnIe9aF/]
[/url]
zeuxia

Postby beanie » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:48 pm

I ran my first full marathon in October. I had run a few 1/2 marathons before doing the full. I'm not sure the 26.2 distance is for me but I'm still glad I did it. It was a major accomplishment for me. I like the 1/2's distance better. That's just me though.
I'm thinking of running a 1/2 marathon in March, but have not registered yet. I am registered for a 10 miler in April and plan to start training for that in January.
I agree that when it's cold and dark (and early) it's hard to get out there but I love to be able to get the run in before the rest of the day's responsibilities crowd in. Plus, sometimes I'm all done before I actually wake up mentally. :)
Good luck with your races whatever their length may be. Keep posting and let us know how you're doing.
beanie

Postby jbs013 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:17 am

I'm training for a 1/2 in April (Eisenhower half in Abilene, KS) and also for the hospital hill 1/2 (KC, MO) in June. One is very flat while the other is very hilly. They should be fun.

Someone else on this board (another thread maybe) mentioned that they find it easier to train when they have a goal...i agree completely so i picked two that fit well together in terms of time.
jbs013

Postby Chile » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:32 am

I walked my first half-marathon last month. I haven't decided whether to train for another one, but have definitely noticed a drop-off in my walking lately. At first, it was understandable - I was recovering from blisters, sore feet, and 2 black toenails! Now, though, I think it is the lack of a definite goal.

DH, on the other hand, is ramping up his training rapidly as he has a 50K ultra coming up next month and hopes to do a 50 mile ultra in March! :eek:
Chile

marathon

Postby marian » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:25 pm

My husband and I are preparing for our 5th marathon in February in Ft. Worth, Texas. I'm probably the opposite of alot of people. I love running early in the dark. I find that I am not distracted by cars, etc. I can settle into a good pace and think about things. I have found since eating vegan that I am not so tired after the long runs. Eating oatmeal for breakfast and sweet potatoes at lunch helps.
marian

Postby beanie » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:22 am

Marian - I ran the 1/2 marathon in Forth Worth last February. It's a fun race and a nice course. I hope you have a great time.
beanie

Postby prairiedream » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:30 am

Oh, all this talk about running half-marathons makes me want to train for one, too! I ran two of them in the past and really love that distance for me.

Unfortunately, I had hernia operation a couple of years ago and was subsequently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and spent a long time feeling better after starting medication, so I was basically doing maintenance running.

This year I plan to raise my mileage in the hopes that I can start training for another half-marathon either at the end of this year or sometime next year. (I'm running less than 15 miles a week right now)
prairiedream

Postby beanie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:51 pm

Hey Prairiedream,
Here's a link to a beginning 1/2 marathon training program that I'm following. It's pretty easy to follow and not too difficult to stay with.
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/134.shtml
I was doing just 10 miles/week through December and now am inching up to 20/week.
I have one 1/2 in March that I'm just running for fun and as a way to get back on track with my running another in May that I'm going to train a bit harder for and really try to run.
Good Luck!
Beanie
beanie

Return to Exercise and Fitness