Exercise video that is too hard.

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Exercise video that is too hard.

Postby Shari in MN » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:49 pm

I was doing a yoga/palates video today for exercise. There are a lot of exercises I can not do because either I do not have the balance or I do not have the strength. I also did some poorly because I did not have the coordination. How would you deal with these difficulties? How do you approach an exercise video that may be above you ability. Finally, any ideas on how to improve balance, I have little to none.

Thanks,

Shari
Shari in MN

Tai Chi is supposed to improve balance;maybe you

Postby veggiecat » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:25 am

could find a class in your area.Can you lift some small weights t gain strength?
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Postby DianeR » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:14 am

It does take time to develop strength, flexibility, and balance. A good video will have modifications for those who can't do a particular pose. Also, if you can only partially do something, you are still improving yourself. As you continue, you will get better. Remember, if you could do everything perfectly the first time, the video would be too easy for you!

If you can't do enough to even get a benefit from a tape, it sounds like it is at too high a level for you. Find a video that is at a beginner level or has beginner modifications in it. www.collagevideo.com has hundreds of videos. You can search for particular types, see their level, see short clips, and read magazine and individual reviews. If you don't like something, you can return it within 30 days for a refund.

You might like The Firm's yoga video. It has modifications for beginners and you can adjust things as you get more proficient.

Stick with it. It took me weeks to be able to do a back bend (camel pose) and full, nongirly pushups took me nine months. I have a more advanced yoga tape I alternate with The Firm one and some of the positions ... well, I still can't always hold them consistently for the entire time. (I have some even more advanced ones that I'm saving for the future :eek: ) But each time I think I'm getting better :-)
DianeR

Second Diane

Postby VeganMan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:18 am

I too had difficulty with some Yoga poses as a beginner, I only need a week to see progress and can do them now with ease. Nothing worth while is easy. I will tell you I have never felt better than after doing Yoga sessions on consecutive days for at least 2 weeks.

I started with and continue to use Baron Baptiste DVD's. These I've heard some beginners say they are too tough to start with, but I didn't have much problem (I was in fair shape with little flexibility when I started).
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

collage video is wonderful, and maybe tai chi?

Postby Anne » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:33 am

I second DianeR's recommendation for collagevideo.com as a resource. You can even call them to ask for advice. I may be remembering wrong, but I think they are in Minnesota like you.

I haven't tried Tai Chi yet, but I have heard a couple of older co-workers say that they found it easier to begin than yoga. Tai Chi emphasizes balance and appears very gentle. You might want to try a beginning DVD or class.
Anne in the northcountry
Anne

Postby Karen » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:40 pm

Another key thing to remember is that in yoga, it is the reaching (trying to get into the pose) that provides the benefits, not just being in the pose.

There are many yoga poses that I'm not ready to try yet (head stand, lotus, some of the wacky things that Rodney Yee does in the intros), but I either modify the pose with blocks and rolls, or do a preparation instead of the pose. For instance, instead of a head stand, I do a position that has my head on the ground but without weight on my head.

I do have many yoga videos, but always get much, much more out of a yoga class.

K
Karen

yoga

Postby gbrowne » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:36 pm

I agree that a class with a qualified teacher right there to help you is the best advice I can give.

Maybe the local Y or a community college nearby have beginner yoga classes.

I also like the Firm yoga dvd--maybe do 10 minutes. I also have found that Yogazone videos are helpful--just make sure it's the beginner.

Lastly, Netflix has a wide range of dvd's that would save you money. You can keep them as long as you like, and then see which ones would be worthy of purchase! Good luck.
"The candle that gives light to others must itself be consumed. Thus we also have to act. We ourselves are consumed to give a good example to others." St. Charles Borromeo
gbrowne

try a physical therapist

Postby momof4 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:18 am

I was having some problems with my neck/shoulders, and of all the people I went to (including chiropractors, massage therapists, and osteopathic doctors), the physical therapists are the ones that got it right. They helped me with my posture, and it was the only thing that's made a big difference. The good thing is that they checked my strength and flexibility all over, and found areas where I was very weak and gave me exercises to do, especially ones related to my posture. It was like having my own personal trainer for a few months, and insurance paid for it.

A simple one for balance is just to stand on one leg (I've recently read that you can also do this barefoot on a pillow, to make it harder). You can do this any time, while brushing your hair, playing catch with your kids. Aim for balancing for a minute on each leg.
momof4

book with balance chapter

Postby SarahJ » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:21 am

I've got an exercise video I gave up on, also. It goes too quickly for me.

The book The No Sweat Exercise Plan, by Harvey Simon, M.D. contains a chapter on exercises for balance.
SarahJ

Postby slugmom » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:27 am

One group of videos I like are Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds sets ... she's very encouraging and affirming and often suggesting ways to tone it down if it's too intense, showing you how to modify them or walk less vigorously. Since they're walking based, you don't HAVE to do the 'fancy' moves (which aren't that fancy) but as you get better at it, starting them small and working up to bigger movements, they will also help with balance because you are moving back and forth, and doing some knee lifts and such. She talks about "functional fitness" - being fit enough to move around and do stuff - and I like the way she puts it. I find her very encouraging.

HTH
kim
- Kim

slugmom

Return to Exercise and Fitness