Running shoes

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Running shoes

Postby KareninTN » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:15 pm

Despite reading countless advice to use running shoes for running and walking shoes for walking, I have never found anything I like better than running shoes for walking. What has your experience with this issue been? Is it just a matter of shoe companies wanting to sell more shoes? :?

karenturtle
KareninTN

Postby Lin » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:37 am

I wear running shoes for walking and jogging. I don't like walking shoes. I've never found a really comfortable pair that feel like they give as much support as running shoes do.
Anyway, I do a combination of slow jogging and fast walking and I love my Asics Gel running shoes. They are the best fit for me.

The quickest way to kill a good exercise program is aching feet and joints because of ill-fitting shoes.
So,... I would say, find what feels good to your feet and go with it.
Lin

Let all that you do be done in love.
(1 Cor. 16: 14)
Lin

Postby Sunny » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:47 am

I wear running shoes to walk or work out in they seem to be better cushioned, they fit my foot better and are all around more comfortable.
I wear Saucony running shoes.
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Re: Running shoes

Postby serenity » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:53 pm

KareninTN wrote:I have never found anything I like better than running shoes for walking.
karenturtle

I agree with you. Generally, I find walking shoes to be too heavy.

I suppose there are probably some differences in the way the foot strikes that the shoes are made to support, but overall they are both forward movements, so I've assumed that the running shoes are probably fine. Hope so anyway.
serenity

I've never found anything I like wearing better any time

Postby Anne » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:44 am

than running shoes!

I think the brand that fits your foot best is far more important than running vs. walking. Reeboks are my brand. I can wear their running or walking shoes with comfort for miles and miles, but I can't wear Nikes of any description.

I do choose running shoes for walking - and daily wear whenever I can get away with it. I'm pretty sure that's why I'm the only woman my age in in my office who doesn't need foot surgery.
Anne in the northcountry
Anne

Postby hope101 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:09 am

I have always been a running shoes or hikers for walking kind of person, but this summer I discovered Crocs. It is winter here no and no longer suitable, but no one in my family took theirs off once we all tried them this August. They are extremely light, seem to cushion very well, and very comfortable. They are also quite cheap. They have become indoor shoes now for both my husband and I. The only drawback is that they are considered a fashion faux pas, but I have always been a comfort person anyway.
hope101

Return to Exercise and Fitness