Optimal BMI - redux

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Optimal BMI - redux

Postby JeffN » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:40 pm

geo wrote:
There are also some bio markers they check for.

I'm interested in what biomarkers you consider to be most important to potentially determining overall health. I fully understand that no one or two biomarkers can determine health and that they are markers of potential disease and not the disease itself. Still, if you were focusing on a particular set of biomarkers that may best represent a potential state of health what might they be? I know I'm leaving this wideopen to interpretation by not mentioning simplicity/complexity of measurements, values/ranges, potential accuracy, cost, standardizations, etc...)

My choice of bio markers (that anyone can do) would be:

1. Diet
2. Exercise
3. BMI

and then possibly follow that up with a full spectrum, comprehensive blood test of a wide variety of markers.

I agree with your 3 and using the basics, not extremes, as the standard.

In general, if you have no signs or symptoms, I think it is a good idea to get a full blood work up once a year including a chemistry panel (CMP), a complete blood count (CBC) and a lipid panel. In most states in the USA, you can get that ordered online for around $35. If vegan, add in a b12. BP is easy to check too.

I would have no problem adding in A1c, TSH, Homocsyteine, hs-CRP, Vitamin D, Insulin. You can get all of these together, for about $150 (or less when LEF has their sale).

Then, depending on one family history and any past health/medical issues, there could be a few others but I think the above is plenty in general

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Previous

Return to Jeff Novick, RD