Biomarkers vs diet

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Biomarkers vs diet

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:45 am

Hi Jeff.

Since biomarkers are used as an indication of one's health, what if someone has great numbers and eats a meat heavy diet?

Case study 1: male, 37, 6' tall, 160 lbs, blood pressure 92/50, total cholesterol 145. Eats 4 eggs for breakfast everyday, and probably 1/2 lb meat total the rest of the day. Remaining diet is mostly nuts, vegetables, sweet potatoes and shredded wheat cereal.

Even though the diet is suboptimal, is this just a case of this person being an outlier? Or will these eating habits eventually cause unforeseen problems?

Thanks for your insight!

(Also, we're road tripping down to Florida later this week! I'm nervous about what food will be available in vacation areas, so wish me luck. I'm bringing my Instant Pot.)
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Biomarkers vs diet

Postby JeffN » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:53 am

Lyndzie wrote:Hi Jeff.

Since biomarkers are used as an indication of one's health, what if someone has great numbers and eats a meat heavy diet?

Case study 1: male, 37, 6' tall, 160 lbs, blood pressure 92/50, total cholesterol 145. Eats 4 eggs for breakfast everyday, and probably 1/2 lb meat total the rest of the day. Remaining diet is mostly nuts, vegetables, sweet potatoes and shredded wheat cereal.

Even though the diet is suboptimal, is this just a case of this person being an outlier? Or will these eating habits eventually cause unforeseen problems?

Time will tell but most likely.

There is always outliers on both ends but that is not how we make public and personal health decisions.

And, one can look further beyond biomarkers to see if someone with bad diet/good biomarkers actually has disease and if someone with good diet/bad biomarkers doesn't.

This is from my thread on Triage, one of my early posts on this forum

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7875

In their report the WHO identified 10 misunderstandings that were obstacles to changing these modifiable risk factors. A few were relevant

1) Chronic diseases are often viewed as primarily affecting old people.

One quarter of all chronic disease deaths occur in people under 60 years of age.

2) The solutions for chronic disease prevention and control are too expensive to be feasible for low and middle income countries (populations).

In reality, a full range of chronic disease interventions are very cost- effective for all regions of the world. Many of these solutions are also inexpensive to implement.

3) Half Truths and kernels of truth. In these cases, the kernels of truth are distorted to become sweeping statements that are not true. Because they are based on the truth, such half-truths are among the most ubiquitous and persistent misunderstandings. Two principal half-truths are refuted below.

“ My grandfather smoked and was overweight and he lived to 96”.

Answer: In any population, there will be a certain number of people who do not demonstrate the typical patterns seen in the vast majority. For chronic diseases, there are two major types: 1) people with many chronic disease risk factors, who nonetheless live a healthy and long life; 2) people with no or few chronic disease risk factors, who nonetheless develop chronic disease and/or die from complications at a young age.

These people undeniably exist, but they are rare. The vast majority of chronic disease can be traced back to the common risk factors, and can be prevented by eliminating these risks.

4) ”Everyone has to die of something"

Answer: Certainly everyone has to die of something, but death does not need to be slow, painful, or premature. Most chronic diseases do not result in sudden death. Rather, they are likely to cause people to become progressively ill and debilitated, especially if their illness is not managed correctly. Death is inevitable, but a life of protracted ill-health is not. Chronic disease prevention and control helps people to live longer and healthier lives.

I raised the same issue in the thread on why a cholesterol of 150 is NOT a gold standard nor does it make one heart attach proof.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21177&#p206988

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Biomarkers vs diet

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:46 am

Thank you for the information. I found the last link especially helpful.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Jeff Novick, RD