Redux -The Benefit of non-HDL: Putting a Low HDL in Perspective.

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Redux -The Benefit of non-HDL: Putting a Low HDL in Perspective.

Postby Willijan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:54 pm

Well, this is very interesting. I read a lot of the post, including the first article, but not the research articles. (Very very sleepy and not really great at reading research articles. Sorry.)

But what I want to ask is, does this mean that total cholesterol doesn't matter? For instance, in the case of my husband:
TC 154
Direct HDLC 71
non-HDL 83

He's in the ideal range (below 100) for non-HDL. But above 150 TC. So that TC doesn't matter?

Thanks for all your posts, Jeff. Very valuable!
Willijan

Re: The Benefit of non-HDL: Putting a Low HDL in Perspective

Postby Willijan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:00 pm

My husband, referenced in previous post, does have one severely clogged artery, LAD I believe, 70% clogged (?), but that is as of 10 years ago. No cardio events, no signs and symptoms of disease other than that. So I see Pritikin says he should be below 80 non-HDL. However he has improved his diet since these lab results of 8 months ago.
Willijan

Re: Redux -The Benefit of non-HDL: Putting a Low HDL in Pers

Postby JeffN » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks.

I can't comment on someones individual numbers. Remember, numbers are only screening tools

It is important to look at many factors not just numbers. The decisions you are talking about should be made between the person in question and a credible licensed degreed experienced health care professional who understands our perspective.

The 150 is often misunderstood and misused. There is no one number that makes anyone heart attack proof.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21177&#p206988

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Willijan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:20 pm

JeffN wrote:Thanks.

I can't comment on someones individual numbers. Remember, numbers are only screening tools

It is important to look at many factors not just numbers. The decisions you are talking about should be made between the person in question and a credible licensed degreed experienced health care professional who understands our perspective.

The 150 is often misunderstood and misused. There is no one number that makes anyone heart attack proof.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21177&#p206988

In Health
Jeff

Okay. My question isn't whether my husband's numbers are good, although I can see how I gave that impression by using his numbers. And I have read some of what you have said before about "there is no one number that makes anyone heart attack proof."

What I wanted to know is, does this mean we (meaning any health seeker) can ignore a total cholesterol number, when considering lab results within the context of lifestyle factors? (I did read the Pritikin article listing the other factors that need to be dealt with, such as smoking, stress, hypertension, etc.) Or do we still need to have as a goal to get TC lower? By we, I mean people in general.
Willijan

Postby JeffN » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:30 pm

Total cholesterol is part of the equation to get non-HDL so it has to be relevant. Think about what happens to non-HDL as total cholesterol comes down. :)

All numbers help us get a better picture

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD