Protein RDA underestimated?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Protein RDA underestimated?

Postby ScottishOatEater » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi jeff. I'm wondering, if you have the time, what you think about this well sourced article? It seems there is a lot of recent research that is suggesting that the optimal protein intake may be substantial more than the current RDA suggests.

http://renaissancehumans.com/vegan-protein/

It was quite convincing for me, that we should be aiming for more than the current RDA. I have little experience in interpreting studies, however, and would love to hear your expert opinion on the research.
Oats: A Grain that in England Is Fed to Horses, and in Scotland to People...
...which is why England has such fine horses, and Scotland has such fine people.
ScottishOatEater

Re: Protein RDA underestimated?

Postby JeffN » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:13 pm

I don't respond to these online articles.

I have written extensively on protein, including 6 articles directly addressing how much is enough, and showing, that even when the issues of bioavailability, etc are considered, we easily get in more then enough, while easily surpassing the RDA.

It is a non issue. If anything, longevity research is looking at restricting protein and possibly a few amino acids.

In Health
Jeff

PS A few years ago when the IOM and FNB were weighing in on the new food label, they said that having to list Protein was voluntary/optional because they considered protein a non-issue and that it "is not a public health concern."
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD